Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lubing patches

Old 12-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lubing patches

Microwave some bore butter and dip the patches in it.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

(make sure you mix the ingredients in the exact order they are listed)

I buy a yard of material of 100% cotton blue strip pillow tick at the local wal mart. I wash that in the washing machine. I then line dry the material. After that, you can tear the strip real easy off that bolt of material. I like to tear off an inch and a half. Then you soak that strip in moose milk. Ring the excess moose milk out. Then I lay that on an old window screen in the sun and let it dry. This is a dry patch . If you like a more wet patch, you can spritz them with a spritzer bottle.

I cut my patches at the muzzle. I like the dry patches in the winter time when hunting in the cold. When I am on the range, I often times will just spritz a patch and use it fresh. It does not seem to bother anything...

Just a different way of doing things is all....
Cayugad

Thanks for the info on Moose Milk. What is Witch Hazel and where might I purchase it? Also, our tap water has alot of iron and Calicuim in it. Would bottled or distilled water be a better choice than tap water?

Jeff
Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

All of the stuff needed to make Moose Milk can be found at any Wal Mart. Witch Hazel is near the rubbing alcohol. Castor Oil is in the pharmacy. Whether distilled water or tap water, really should not make a difference. Once you get all the stuff together and shake it, it will milk right up. It is the one lube I use because it works for me.