Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

peep for your glasses

Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default peep for your glasses

If you vision isn't what it used to be you might like this idea. A friend gave me these two peep sights. You bend into your eyesight and attach with tape to your glasses. I have not tried it yet but w/the Austin H. shouldered you could see the tiny notch in the buck horn and the front sight clearly. I will try to measure the hole w/ a drill bit later. There are two aperture sizes there.

LOL, SHills
Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: peep for your glasses

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vol4no6/articles/mbo46-5.html That's called a disopter. Here is a link on how to make your own with your glasses and some tape.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Drilling the right size hole in the right place in a pair of clip on sun glasses is handi for several reasons. Lee
Old 12-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

peeps are ilegal here in pa..

i put on the RMC v-peep sight and it works fine..my eyes are bad close also..

i also had my gunsmith move the rear v-peep out toward front sight,about 12 inchs..

this helped a lot..i had him make the v-peep hole bigger also as when you move it this way, the front bead fills hole..or you can get a smaller front bead but rmc bead is real small..

i am deadly with this set-up..and if i dont like it, i can always move rear sight back to the original hole..i can touch holes with this set-up at 50 yards,believe this, with roundball too..

i never thought i could shoot rb that good out of my hawkins .50 cal..

with help of many on here, my shooting has vastly improved..
Old 12-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Sproulman,
Never heard of that company, but I found it on line. Pretty cool idea!

For you PA guys! If the peep or tape is part of your glasses is THAT legal since it is not on the rifle?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try that blk electrical take too. Just haven't had time today. I do a nice leather punch so it should work!

Thanks, SHills
Old 12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SHills

Sproulman,
Never heard of that company, but I found it on line. Pretty cool idea!

For you PA guys! If the peep or tape is part of your glasses is THAT legal since it is not on the rifle?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try that blk electrical take too. Just haven't had time today. I do a nice leather punch so it should work!

Thanks, SHills
here is my friends site..www.rmcsports.com

look under v-peep..williams make a nice peep also but its illegal here in pa..v-peep is open on top, so its legal..

they also have one for your glasses that has suction cup to hold it on..cayugud could help you on that, i forgot the site ..

doing what i said above, i dont think you will need tape..moving your rear sight forward, will help clear things up..take your sight off and move it towards the front sight until it looks fairly clear..not more than 10/12 inchs..

on a peep, you dont need to have a clear rear sight..open sights you do..

but, i like to still see my rear sight clear..if you get v-peep, which i highly rec for bad eyes,get the GREEN extra tubes they sell for front sight..green is better than red ones..

thats about it..peep will help you a lot over the original sights..some said to put rear peep as close to your eye as you can on barrel, some put them 4 inchs from your eye..

i tried that andit was so blurry, i could not find front sight in peep..try both,lay your rear sight you have now on barrel,put it close to your eye,then have someone move it slowly towards front sight..

i bet it clears up for you going towards front sight..take care..
Old 12-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

Sproulman,
Thanks for the advice.That v peep has a trad look too like a modified buck horn!
SHills

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sproulman,
Thanks for the advice.That v peep has a trad look too like a modified buck horn!
SHills
they had to do that to make it legal here in pa..peep sights are not legal..

i had original sights on my hawkins,they were impossible for me to line up front with back..

bad eyes close..so, i went to fiber optic rear and fronts..they were terrible..those fiber rears were awful..

so, i was over at RMC , rightnour is my friend and real nice person..he said, SPROUL, try this sight out for me, i think you will like it..

took it home, it was great..you only need to see front sight clear..if you see it, your inside the V-PEEP...

now, i tweacked it a little..i moved rear sight towards front, about 10 inchs more..this cleared up the rear sight for me..i had rmc drill out the v-peep to make hole a little bigger..closer you get to front sight, the more it fills up the hole in rear sight..

now, i have 2 clear sights..

its not necessary to have rear sight clear,just front..

you could take a williams sight, and cut top like the v-peep,and it would be legal, i believe in pa..

i think its stupid that peep sights are not legal in pa..better we can shoot ,more we will hunt..more deer that will not be wounded..

when you hit 50/60, your eyes go downhill..without V-PEEP, i can say, i would have quit shooting and hunting..

i do love that sight and no scope for me..
Old 01-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Sproulman,
Thanks again, Yes I'm 51 but my vision corrected is very good but w/ tri focals it can be tough w/ iron sights if not inpossible. Night vision still good except for that few minutes where the light changes @ dusk. Just not razor sharp anymore.
That sounds like a great product and I will try it!
SHills
Old 01-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sproulman,
Thanks again, Yes I'm 51 but my vision corrected is very good but w/ tri focals it can be tough w/ iron sights if not inpossible. Night vision still good except for that few minutes where the light changes @ dusk. Just not razor sharp anymore.
That sounds like a great product and I will try it!
SHills
great,get extra pack of the light tubes for the front sight..i think he only sells front sight in RED,i could not see red as well as i could,GREEN..

you take match to melt the new tube in front sight..GREEN is best..

remember,the rear sight mounts in the same spot as your original sight..he has about 10 different models, depending on your type of gun/barrel..

if you can see ok in this location, great, it will not be real clear, your eyes cannot focus on 2 objects as we get OLDER..

BUT, if you want it clearer on rear, try what i said, lay it on barrel and move it towards the front sight until it looks clearer..then have your gunsmith drill/mount it there..

thats what i did even tho you dont have too,but i wanted it clearer..cost me 14 dollars for him to drill hole in barrel..if i dont like it, i just move it back and put screw in hole..

just remember, your gunsmith may have to make hole bigger in rear sight ,you may not have too..

i like smallest front sight i can put on my gun..that front sight from RMCSPORTS is real small but i may make it even smaller or have him make it smaller for me..