Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Flinter

Old 12-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lyman Flinter

What is your opinion of the Lyman Great Plains rifle?
What about in comparison to the TC Hawken?
Never shot a flintlock but very interested in getting one.
I'm a LH shooter and would want this as a LH rifle. I know the plains rifle is a 1:60 and the TCcap lockI already own has a 1:48 but have seen TC barrels that are 1:66.
Main thing is reliability. Both have good names.
What is your take on the locks as that seems to be a very import part of ignition as well as the vent hole position.
I know nothing more than that!
Thanks in advance,
SHills
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman Flinter

Both of them are great rifles with excellent hardware to wood matches. The locks on the two rifles are about equal. I own two Thompson Center Flintlocks and a Lyman Trade Rifle Flintlock. If I had to rate the locks, I would have to say the Lyman is the better of the three. It does not eat flints as fast, the ignition is real fast and sure, and very smooth. Although, my Trade Rifle does not have a set trigger and both my Hawkins do. I am not sure if that would make a difference in the lock speed.

My friend shoots a Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber. As he once said, there is nothing he would not hunt with that rifle. He sure does some impressive shooting with it at long ranges. Although the Hawkins by T/C is a very accurate rifle as well and shoots conicals. My Trade Rifle is also very accurate and shoots conicals as powerbelts as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 AM

This may have changed in recent years but T/C was known for having soft fizzens and oldly enough, a lyman fizzen can be fitted to a TC lock. Greg Dixon who is a Lyman warranty agent and a known builder in PA does this retrofit all the time.

The GPR with it's slower twist bbl. will shoot roundballs a little better with heavier charges, this is a general statement and not all ML'r perform the same. I shoot a .54 GPR and it is easy on flints and very accurate with 90grs of 3f goex, and I've put as much as 110grs in it and still had decent groupings.

Doug
Old 12-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

I own a T/C Hawken, and have used a friends GPR extensively. The GPR is a better target gun, but it is longer, and more muzzle heavy, and consequently not as handy as a hunting rifle.

I don't know why but, in years past,T/C seemed incapable of properly hardening a frizzen. Hopefully, they are better today. For years, I played musical frizzens with them (their customer service is great), but finally gave up and installed a Lyman frizzen on my Hawken. It takes a small amount of grinding on the lug which holds it to the lock. About a 5 minute job.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

t/c locks have come a long way,improved hammer (doesn't smash flints) .070 vent liner,and a lyman frizzen fitted to a t/c lock that the way to go
and there warranty the best there is.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I thank you all for your responses. I have been to other forums but here it seems more people help out anyway they can to foster the sport. It is good to see when someone is going to lay down some $ people make sure you have accurate info!
Sincerely,
StephenE Hills
"Steve"