Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More thoughts on the Apex

Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default More thoughts on the Apex

When in Oklahoma, did some shooting with my brother and Dad. We tried some BB 375 SSBs (70 grains 3fGoex)and some 270 BB Ballets (80 grains 3f Goex). Both loads shot equally well (and as well as I canpoint with the fiber optic sights).

My dad, who has never owned a SS rifle, just had to have one himself. He plans to scope it and load the 375 SSB's. He should be getting his soon and I should be getting my secondApex tommorrow.

I've been using Winchester 209s for inline muzzleloading rifles for primers so far, with two exceptions. As I was packing the Sidekick for shipment, I happened on two new primer carriers with primers in them. I removed those two primers and placed them in a partially emptied primer package. Both of these primers were sticky in the BP after being spent. All the others, the ones I've been using all along, dropped freely from the BP without handling after firing. The two primers which stuck are standard Winchester 209s which are packaged in the royal blue packaging.So it matters which primers are used.

So far so good, my satisfaction is still high. When I get her scoped I'll report on how well she shoots then. I also want to chrony some loads to see how much difference the longer barrel is making.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:55 PM

Default RE: More thoughts on the Apex

None of the primers stick in my gun. I just tip the barrel up and open her and they fall right out.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which model primer are you using? It'd be nice to know an alternative those I'm using.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:22 PM

They're CCI 209 Shotshell Primers. Oops, I've been telling people they were Winchester's, I guess I was mistaken.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

They're CCI 209 Shotshell Primers. Oops, I've been telling people they were Winchester's, I guess I was mistaken.
That's good to know. I noticed that Sportsman's Warehouse carries them for $2.50 a package and I have been wanting to try them. The primers I've been using are just too expensive except that I bought them on clearance at Walmart for $2 each. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:27 PM

those primers are nice and easy to slide out. I used them in my x-150 and pull them out with my finger tips. Remington kleanbore is another primer that comes out of my breecg plug easily. Plus they really do cut down the barrel fouling big time.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 AM

The only timeI had a problem with them was when I swabbed the barrel and got crap all over in the breech plug area. I had maybe 4 out of 30 that didn't pop out when I tipped the gun up. You don't need a capper for that gun either....

Good shooting.