Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I got my Apex!!!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 09:30 PM

Default I got my Apex!!!!!

I got it this afternoon. It's stainless/black and I love it. I haven't found anything I don't like yet. This weekend I'll shoot it and then I'll know for sure. It feels balanced, has great sights, has a sturdy stock, simple action, perfect weight, nice sling, and a super nice barrel. The only thingthat's rather stupid on it is the white specks on the stock. It makes it look sweet but then again it looks like there's spray paint or something on there. I won't complain about that though. I moved my other muzzleloader off of the gun rack to make room for this baby.

Have any of you shot yours yet? Can you get good groups? Was it sighted in out of the box?

Did you guys make any adjustments or upgrades to yours?

If you want one you'd better hurry and buy it. They're selling out fast. It's the best muzzleloader deal I've found yet. I think it's a better deal than the Kodiak for sure. I'll keep you posted on how it shoots. Thanks for any comments. Tomorrow I'm going on a shopping spree at Cabela's with a gift card I just got for a large amount(yay!!!).
Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 PM

Default RE: I got my Apex!!!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing. The closed breech seems to be sealed real tight. It should be very weatherproof.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm glad you like your rifle... keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Say, what do you think of the trigger on that gun? It seems a little rough--not bad but a little harder to pull than my other gun. If there's anything you don't like about the gun let me know. I'm interested to hear comments. I'll shoot it tomorrow or something and let you know it does. Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 AM

I have the same gun ...shoots 100 grains the best. all the bullets shot well with 100 grains of triple 7

I like my trigger.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:29 AM

Did you get yours at Cabela's? I really like this gun as well - at least from what I can see without shootingone yet. Did a little trigger tuning on one this past week for customer. Responded nicely to a little minor tweaking.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:49 PM

OK guys I need your advice. I went and shot my gun today. She fired nice but was not on target at all. Obviously, this makes sense because you can't expect it to be sighted in out of the box, however, they said it would be. The odd thing, however was that even though it wasn't sighted in it wouldn't group well. I started at 100 yards and shot twice hitting about 4 inches apart. This is normal for me at that range. I kept moving up and finally got to 20 YARDS. I started shooting and shot 4 consecutive times. I shot like a 6 inch group. I might not be an expert shot but I've never shot that bad at 20 yards.

So, either I was shooting really ****ty today, it was the gun, or it was the load. I was shooting 300 grain T/C XTP Mag sabots, 100 grains of American Pioneer Powder, and Winchester primers. What are your opinions? I didn't adjust the sights. Should I keep shooting close and buy some more sabots and sight it a couple inches high, or should I try different loads? If I can't get the gun to shoot well, I'm gonna return it and buy an Omega. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:56 PM

its your powder im betting. Buy some pyrodex RS and you'll be on target. Pyrodex is all ive used since the first time i picked up a muzzleloader and never had any problems sighting in all the muzzleloaders i have. If its still not on sight, i'll buy it and rub it in your nose with a nice bull elk pic and the apex next to my side
Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

Dumb question I know, but did you clean the barrel really well before you started shooting?

Were you shooting open sights or a scope?

Just a suggeston but start shooting @ 25 yards - shoot a group and see what you get....

The new Savage I got the other day came with scope blocks installed - I then installed the scope was bore sighting and could not keep it on spot... Took the scope off and the blocks were loose...With open sights often the front blade does not fit as tight as it should.

In shipping a lot of things can work loose...

Just some things to think about...

FG is not going to like your Winchester report, but them again you probably do not either...

Good luck getting it more ready for the next trip...

Old 12-24-2006, 08:08 PM

I'll certainly try some different powder and bullets beforeI give up. I was using open sights. I've been thinking of a new rest because mine is crap. It's not stable and neither is the table. I'm gonna blame it on my shooting and get some more bullets and keep trying. I did actually notice a pattern. It shot low and left. I'll keep working on it. Thanks for any more advice and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Quick Reply: I got my Apex!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.