Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me decide... Kodiak or Apex

Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Help me decide... Kodiak or Apex

Well, I messed around long enough to miss out on the Apex deal at Cabela's. Dad went to the store in PDC yesterday and they checked all over the country, none to be had in .45 or .50, so to make a long story short its off to plan B. I've located a CVA Kodiak on clearance for $154. It is my understanding that the Kodiak is very similar to the Apex. I've handled both and the differences that stand out are a nicer stock and an aluminum ramrod on the Apex and the fluted barrel.

Our local Sportsman's Warehouse has three Apexs in stock, one black/ss and two camo/ss. Here's the kicker, they want $239 for the black and $259 for the camo.

Help me out here, this will be my first inline purchase. Is there enough difference in these two guns to justify the higher priced Apex? I'm thinking for the price, I can scope and get set up pretty well on the Kodiak for the starting price of the bare Apex.

BTW, muzzleloaders must bea very popular Christmas item this year because they are nearly impossible to find in the stores around Des Moines!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:14 AM

Default RE: Help me decide... Kodiak or Apex

How about the Traditions Pursuit line?

I can't get the search function here to work for me!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about the Apex but I have a kodiak mag 50cal. in nickle/black and it's been nothing but great for me. It's worth every penny spent and worth alot more cheese. I get very good groups out to 100 yards and cloverleafs at 50 yards with open sight. I shot the biggest buck of my 12 year hunting this year and it's my first year hunting with a muzzleloader. If you are not bother by all the talks about the spanish barrel then you should get the Kodiak.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply wolf. What loads do you like in your Kodiak?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Spike

As far as I was able to tell before buying my APEX, the CVA Kodiak Pro and the Win. APEX are nearly the EXACT same gun, with some minor differences in the trim and detail (e.g. the stock). The CVA Kodiak is just a step down from the Kodiak Pro only in that the Kodiak comes with a blued barrel instead of stainless.

As far as the higher price for the APEX at the local shop being worth it, I would ask how bad do you want stainless? The APEX and Kodiak Profeel the same to me when shouldered. Since were talking about theKodiak, barrel material is probably the only deciding factor.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Before everyone runs out and buys something they kind of want or settle for something else, after Christmas, more sales will appear normally. At least if past selling trends hold true. That is also the time they want to clear off inventory and low and behold all kinds of rifles seem to appear out of the wood work. So you might want to wait.

As for the difference,they are both BPI rifles. I have never personally handled either of them. I am sure there is very little difference between the two other then perhaps stainless vs nickel. And check the weight of the rifles on line. That will normally tell you which one has more beef in the stock. Other then that you have the same customer service, and they will probably shoot very similar. Of course this is all speculation on my part.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Zugunruhe

Couple of things...

1. PM pglasgow and ask him about his Apex
2. The Apex has a stainless barrel option - far better than nickel in my mind...

Old 12-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Kodiak .50cal, black and blue, and it works great for me. I topped it with a red dot scope. I'm new to ml so I'm by no means an expert. Shot my first deer ever with it this fall. 295 gr PB with 95gr of 3F Pinnacle. Shot well with 250 gr Shockwaves and 85 gr. I hunted with the PB as the SW loaded tight after the first shot. PB loaded easy.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Well looking at the specs of the two rifles, the CVA is #7.5 pounds.. the Winchester Apex is 8.6 pounds. I suspect that the extra weight might be in the stock design. I am sure the CVA Kodiak would work fine, as past range reports indicate. Its just, when your spending that kind of money, you should get what you want.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM

I bought the Kodiak and found one in nickel/black for a good price with the starter kit. Gander Mountain has them in their Christmas ad for $30 lessthan the Cabela's price.

I even talked to my wife about it last night before making my decision

To my surprise she said, "Merry Christmas, thats what we have money for...", it appears Ihave made some good decisions in this life!

Quick Reply: Help me decide... Kodiak or Apex

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.