Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting This Weekend ?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Default RE: Hunting This Weekend ?

hunt? HA! with 2 feet of fresh powder snow i think not! I feel bad for the guys/girls that are up in the mountains hunting. They'll break free once spring comes .
Old 12-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

I live in the Arkansas River valley. There are mountains to the north, the west, and the south. When big storms dump on the high plains, we are often left out. Its like we are sheltered, average yearly precipitation is only 10.5 inches here in the valley. And yes there is lots of deer here and if we are lucky enough to see more accumulations in the mountains we should seemore. I live just at the edge of town but not in city limits. Its not uncommon to see B&C class mulies right in my back yard. But of course I don't hunt my wife's wildlife!

Well, its official, I'm getting some shut-eye cause I'm leaving early for Oklahoma. If I get the opportunity to harvest a deer or even a hog, I'll be telling the story, you can count on that. Good luck to you and everyone hunting this weekend. Phil
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out Saturday. Hunted the morning and the evening. It was rainy and extemely windy. Didn't see a thing.

I'm heading out tonight for the absolute final hunt of the year. It should be very exciting. Leaving in an hour and half.

Tom
Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

So because of the lack of snow in your area Pglasgow, I take it that the deer kind of migrate off the mountains into the valley to get out of the deep snow. Less snow of course means more food available. As for the wife's wildlife pets, that would depend on how empty the freezer was.

Around here of course we do not have mountains per say, where they deer can come off of. What they do when the snow gets deep is they yard up. They go into the cedar and orhardwoods and stomp the snow down in to yards. Anyone that ever saw a deer yard in a hard winter knows that they look like, and they deer are not pretty there. They loose lots of body fat, they can dehydrate, and some of them of course die from the cold.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skunked again. Oh well. There's always next year.

Good luck to anyone that is still out there.

Tom
Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

So because of the lack of snow in your area Pglasgow, I take it that the deer kind of migrate off the mountains into the valley to get out of the deep snow. Less snow of course means more food available. As for the wife's wildlife pets, that would depend on how empty the freezer was.
Cayugad, theoretically Ican hunt on my little parcel. Its outside the city limits and there are no covenants or deed restrictions which would prohibit hunting. Even so, the area I live in has alot of other homes in it. And while each lot has some small acreage, they are close enough that I just would not feel comfortable with it, even with my wife's (and the freezer's)encouragement.Same with shooting. I could build aberm and have a 100 yard range in the back yard. I just know my neighbors (who live very close by)are not going to like so I drive a few miles to a BLM range.

I did get to hunt one day with my Dad while in Oklahoma. And while we didn't get to pop a cap while hunting, it was great to get out in the woods again with him for a hunt. My Dad liked the Apex so much, especially after shooting it, that he bought one himself. I was even able to negotiate and extra $20 off for him.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, I too have seen the winter deer yards during a hard winter. I have cut popple trees and skidded the tops close by along with the hay and corn donated money buys. I have did the spring break up dead deer count also.
I highly recommend you invite an anti hunter to view a winter yard in late Febuary early March. Take them back in mid April to help with the counting. Many won't be so anti afterwards.

Al
Old 12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

You got that right alleyyooper. If anyone ever saw a deer yard in late February it would make a person cry almost. In bad years I go and drop white cedar trees in my marsh for them to eat. You can go back three days later and the branches are bare. Then I just pull them out and cut them into saw logs. So we both win.

We were told not to feed the deer hay up here. Seems they are not used to it and it will make them dehydrate (what we were told) but there is usually some good corn piles around for them.

I fed the one winter but the corn bills were getting crazy. I had as many as 15 deer in the back yard one day, and they eat all the corn out. You'd replace it, and they would be standing there watching and waiting for you to leave.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 PM

Going for deer and hogs this weekend in SE Ohio. Weather has been so mild this year. I'm hoping for a little snow. Expectations will be kept low as my daughter wants to come along. We'll just focus on having fun and let the opportunities present themselves. Good luck to all.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 AM

This part of OK has a special doe season 29-31 December. i'mplanning to hunt for at least one dayin Garvin county.i know all thedeer there pretty well. Been watching a bigold doesince we bought the place in 2001. This deer has cost me several shots at good bucks with her shrill warnings. Have neverseen her with a fawn.Old doe,your time has come.

Quick Reply: Hunting This Weekend ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.