Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

schuetzen powder??

Old 12-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default schuetzen powder??

cayugad or any of you other guys shoot or test a powder called Scuetzen?? all i know is its German(or says it is lol) and comes in a plact plastic jug. i normally shoot goex 2fg or 3fg but the closest Goex supplier is 30 minutes away and you have to be 21 or he wont even look at you....im only tunring 20..and our season comes in the 26th and i wont get out there with someone over 21 till after the 26th. so i went to another shop today thats closer and they has Schuetzen powder. i bought a pound of 3fg for 16$...not bad...just curious as to how itll shoot compared to my goex 3fg i shoot from my 50cal TC hawken flinter. mainly wondering about the power/velocity diffrence...accuracy diffrence...and if i should load it lighter than my 90gr charge of goex 3fg...i shot PRBs..get great accuracy from it with 3fg goex...curious if anyone has info on the Schuetzen before i shoot it....

either way im shooting it this season and will let you guys know how it does...ill start off with like 60gr loads and work up just incase..

thanx for any info...

heres their link if anyones curious... http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/
Old 12-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: schuetzen powder??

Scuetzen is a little more powerful then Goex. So if you want you can cut your load back about 10%. You might want to take a couple shots with it to see how your rifle likes it. It is a very clean burning and fast burning powder. I think you are going to like it a lot. And that is an excellent price you got it for.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx cayugad! i figured you may know...i was in a bit of a pinch..i got enough goex 2fg and 3fg to hunt with...probably 20 shots of each..but not enough to target shot with...i shot my rifle less then a month ago..but i love shooting that thing and finally on xmas break from college so i got 2 days off this week i want to do some shooting.

sounds like a good powder to me!! i heard of Swiss and Elephant and some of the others...but never Schuetzen...figured for 16 bucks i might as well try it...sounds like i got lucky and stumbled upon a good powder...ill cut back the load a bit and see how it acts...ive shot my PRB from 50-110 grs in the TC hawken and never had any load shoot better then another...90grs had the edge but nothing noticeable...we will see how the Schuetzen performs!

thanx cayugad
Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard from a lot of people that it is Goex has more power. It is only 100fts though.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, It should burn cleaner too.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx sharpshooter..sounds like it was a lucky finding..my gun aint real particular like i said...2 and 3fg goex from 50-110 grs all grouped nice with PRB...cant get conicals of ANY type to shoot..but PRBs shoot great...

cleaner burning..thats pretty good! not that i swab between PRB shots..but thats even better i guess!

ill be shooting thursday or friday...ill give a range report on my thoughts...i dont have a chrono or anything...wont be doing a great deal of tinkering either actually..but ill let ya guys know it went bang and how it shot and how i thought it compared to goex..

i hope it still has that sulphur smell and smoke cloud!! if its doesnt i want my 16$ back!! no offense to anyone that shoots the new powders...but that stuff has no home near my flinter...i think that sulphur is as addicting as crack!! and that smoke cloud on a cold still winter morning is awesome..im going to try to set up my camera and take pics of me shooting to try to get some cool wallpaper pics..post em if i get any!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best part of muzzleloading: Sulphur and smoke!!! It will still do that. Who knows, you might like it better than Goex.