Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hoping for some insight

Old 12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hoping for some insight

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Thanks for the help guys. I just broke down and bought the Apex in stainless/black. I couldn't find any reason not to buy it and decided it's exactly whatI want. I am sure I will be completely satisfied. I could not justify paying full price for the Omega with those extras and I think I got the best deal possible.
Congratulations! I hope you will be as satisfied in your purchase as I am. My reasons were exactly the same. Please report you experiences and loads here, I'll definitely be interested.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM

I went to Cabela's today and looked at the CVA Kodiak's. I did not ever think I would buy such a gun(the Apex is the same as the Kodiak), but I was definetely wrong about it. The Apex is just like the Kodiak 209 Pro Magnum in blued/stainless except that the Kodiak pro was $310. I loved the gun. It balanced nice, had great sights, was built well, and seems very simple. If it can shoot 3inch groups, I will be absolutely pleased with it. I looked at the Omega and honestly liked the Kodiak better. The Omegaseems like too much money for the gun.If the Apex is anywhere near as nice as the one I looked at I will be perfectly happy without the Omega. I hope it lasts for years as I expect it will. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I went to Cabela's today and looked at the CVA Kodiak's. I did not ever think I would buy such a gun(the Apex is the same as the Kodiak), but I was definetely wrong about it. The Apex is just like the Kodiak 209 Pro Magnum in blued/stainless except that the Kodiak pro was $310. I loved the gun. It balanced nice, had great sights, was built well, and seems very simple. If it can shoot 3inch groups, I will be absolutely pleased with it. I looked at the Omega and honestly liked the Kodiak better. The Omegaseems like too much money for the gun.If the Apex is anywhere near as nice as the one I looked at I will be perfectly happy without the Omega. I hope it lasts for years as I expect it will. I'll keep you posted.
Once I got mine, those were my sentiments exactly. I didn't get the chance to see what I was getting before it came but relied on dmurphy317's assessment of the rifle, I respected his opinion that much. He didn't lead me astray. I am very satisfied. You are just going to love it, I think. Please do keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:42 PM

which rifle did u buy? the apex or kodiak? im blonde and get confused easilyso please forgive me . The kodiak and apex are different in ways than looks. apex is i believe 8 1/4lbs while the kodiak is 7 1/2. Apex available with SS barrel, kodiak is nickel. Althought i do believe the kodiak pro is available in SS. But in my honest opinion i think the winchester is higher quality. Just from my experience with my winchester and from reading other reviews on them. I havnt read a bad review yet on either winchester rifle. Either gun, you're getting a great deal. Enjoy the new rifle you bought and please let me know which one lol.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

which rifle did u buy? the apex or kodiak? im blonde and get confused easilyso please forgive me . The kodiak and apex are different in ways than looks. apex is i believe 8 1/4lbs while the kodiak is 7 1/2. Apex available with SS barrel, kodiak is nickel. Althought i do believe the kodiak pro is available in SS. But in my honest opinion i think the winchester is higher quality. Just from my experience with my winchester and from reading other reviews on them. I havnt read a bad review yet on either winchester rifle. Either gun, you're getting a great deal. Enjoy the new rifle you bought and please let me know which one lol.
Frontier,

They are pretty much the same I think. The action, I am pretty sure , is identical. The breech plug identical. So pretty much the same rifle. I wish I new where the extra weight of the Apex comes from, I suspect the stock. Fine with me, mine's gonna get heavier before I am finished with it.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:01 PM

yeah same action and all. Im betting the kodiak stock is hollow. What are you adding to your stock to make it heavier? I just did a paper test on my x-150 after i removed the inside paint and very little material and it floats right down to the first lug. I cant wait to shoot it again and see if theres a difference. Number one thing on my list is replacing those plastic sights i put on it, the front is moving around on me a little i noticed. But hell for $20 i needed them that season and they worked. But tell me what you're doing to make the apex heavier lol.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

yeah same action and all. Im betting the kodiak stock is hollow. What are you adding to your stock to make it heavier? I just did a paper test on my x-150 after i removed the inside paint and very little material and it floats right down to the first lug. I cant wait to shoot it again and see if theres a difference. Number one thing on my list is replacing those plastic sights i put on it, the front is moving around on me a little i noticed. But hell for $20 i needed them that season and they worked. But tell me what you're doing to make the apex heavier lol.
I'm going to scope it for one thing, nearly a pound, taking the weight to around 9 lbs. I want it to be around 10 lbs. I will be able to to that I know, precisely how, I am not yet certain. It'll be lighter than a buffalo rifle though.