Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: picked up a tc encore and omega today!

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

frontier gander

I guess I was hoping that nobody or at least few would read your orginal postor even read your follow-ups if pglasgow and I pretty much ignored the subject and carried on another conversation.
Oh well we tried. I hoped that just that little nudge would be enough for F.G. to either edit or at leastdiscontinue commenting in the same fashion like in the Powerbelt thread. I go Christmas shopping, and the forum's a mess when I get back.

On this forum I would like to and it has been in the past say we (I believe it is we) try very hard not to bash someone else's choice in guns. This has been a great open forum we are able to discuss old guns, new guns, good guns - not so good guns, but we try not to drag any through the trash.
Amen.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM

I had an Omega Laminated thumbhole stock,and I now have a Prohunter. Neither one came up good for me with the iron sights,but once they were scoped,the fit like a dream. I would guess that 75-85% of all Omegas,and Encore's being shot,are scoped. Nothing is worse than shootinga gun with too low a stock and with a scope,with your head "floating" in the air above the stock. To shoot well,you have to have a good "cheek weld" on the stock. I really press my cheek into the comb on the stock,and the gun in snug on my sholder. My head and sholder recoil as one unit. I never get busted in the chops,"or eye by the scope" as everything head body and gun recoil backwards as one unit. They guy's that get "busted in the chops" are lifting their head off the stock while shooting.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 PM

updated and detailed review on page one.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:28 AM

For all the guys/girls that viewed my first post, i really messed up and was way out of hand with my wording. I apologize to all those who were offened. Just to explain myself on some of the wording i used, when i refered to the encores stock to junk,It was more of a phrase and really ment that it was not useable to me. If you go to the first page you'll see clearly what i ment as i retypedthe review thats useable to new comers and gives an idea what to look for when purchasing a new muzzleloader. Again, i apologize to those i may have offended and i hope those will now see my clear view of what i was trying to make. Hope theres no hard feelings and hope we all can forgive,forget and move on.
Jon
Old 12-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this post I just read in the "parallel universe Hunting.net Universe" Seems an "Inner City Geezer" wrote it and he has their muzzleloading forum in a complete uproar.

Inner City Geezer

Non Typical

[align=center][/align]
well like i said, i picked up a Winchester X150 and an APEX today! I went to the store and asked to see theX150 first. The first thing i noticed was that it didnt balance out well and when holding it to my shoulder, the rear was very light in my shoulder and liked to tip toward. Could use some weight in the rear. When putting it into the shooting posistion, the stock didnt have enough drop to suit me and had a hard time getting the sights into my eye. Drop breech was great and slick with a reassuring click when i pushed it back into place. Hammer was smooth but i felt it would be better off with a larger hammer to insure a safe pull back with gloves or cold hands. Trigger guard was to small for any kind of gloves, needs bigger trigger guard for us who hunt in the cold.Never dry fired it due to me not wanting to upset the employee. But i did lower the hammer a few times and seemed like this one had a good trigger. The stock for this gun wasnt very appealing, hollow and loud when tapping on it. Had a cheapietexture to it, like holding a plastic cup. It would need more drop in the stock to shoulder up to me and the trigger guard would have to be over sized for me to consider buying it. It also needs a pound or 2 in the rear of the stock to eliminate the issue with the rifle wanting to fall forward when its shouldered.

APEX:Right away i noticed was that it had a very very well balanced feel,the stock had a new and fun look to it. Barrel/ sights were the ones i like, nice and bright. Right as i shouldered it i knew there was a big problem. The stock was to short for me and did not offer a comfortable hold and was unable to line up the sights. Needs more drop to the stock and maybe 2" added to fit me right. The balance and weight was just right. The palm grip also wasnt comfortable and liked to bend my wrist at an odd angle. Again, hollow stock and noisey with a cheapie plastic feel. Break open action was as smooth as a prom queens inner thigh "shivers"and snapped shut tightly. I could not test the hammer or trigger due to it having a lock on it " like anyone would be dumb enough to rob a store with a ML'er"
The rifle would just not fit me at all. Which is why everyone looking into buying a muzzleloader needs to see the rifle in person and make sure it fits properly before buying. The cva optima also did not fit me due to the stock design.
Just because these3 rifles did not fit me, doesnt mean they will not fit you, Its very important that your shoulderany rifle in person in all hunting/shooting posistions and make sure it will fit your body and needs. But most importantly, the 2 things they could improve on the Omega for it to be a solid shooter is to add some weight to the rear of the stock so it balances out better and to add some drop to the stock. The prohunter for me would need a new design in the composit stock for it to fit me. Keep this in mind before purchasing any muzzleloader. Its worth a couple hour drive to a store that does carry the rifle to make sure the rifle actually fits you and that you like the balance of the rifle.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice dog.

I just bought(before deer season) a left handed thumbhole stocked Encore. The only way you could get the setup was with the ML barrel. I immediately took the barrel off and sold it. I do not like the Encore ML. I bought a 30-06 barrel. I can honestly say that it is the most comfortable stock I have ever owned. I liked it so much that I ordered another one. I can hold this rig better than any I have ever held. Maybe it is just the fact that it is rare to find a true LH stock. But I truly do like it. All I have to do now is send it off and have a trigger job. After taxes I have about $520 in the ML. I sold the barrel for $250. So I have about $270 in the frame, stock, and forearm(I kept it). I am very happy with this. I have seen the stocks only on E-bay for $250. That is why I ordered another one. Tom.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Is FG the Geezer that post is almost identical to his original post. Why would that be.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 PM

I hear people bashing TC triggers. I just bought an Encore last week and the trigger on it is outstanding. That being said I picked up an Encore and ound a lot of creep in the trigger.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took a Z5 and with acan foam insulation anda bit less than a pound of lead, and one of the recoil cushing butt pads that adds an inch to bring it to my trigger pull length and a bit of trigger work,I find it now fits me quite well. I am considering one of those gray laminated stocks with a bit of work it might be nice. Lee