Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Well actually while I am a Thompson Center fan, owning a large number of them (some people claim too many).. I just personally do not like the Encore stock also. Nothing against the quality of the rifle because I have looked at them and they are one of the best built rifles I have handled. I just don't like the stock. Yet I think they are a nice looking rifle. I guess I am an enigma in my own right.

Just as I don't like the Optima. I am more of a straight stock kind of person like the Black Diamond XR, the CVA Staghorn, my Knights and most of all my White Rifle. I've shot the thumb hole models and handled them and while they are nice on the range, I would not want one for hunting. That is just my personal opinion and likes and dislikes. No intention of dissing any one's rifle or their favorite rifles. I fully understand Frontier Gander's post.. he simply does not like the stock design on the Encore. That to me would mean.. don't buy it. Thousands of other people do, so again its all personal opinion and nothing to get in a tiff about as I see it.

After all when someone asks advise of which rifle for them... we tell them, get to a store and handle them. Shoulder them. See which one fits you best. All Frontier Gander told me was he handled one and did not like it.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 PM

The credibility meter is really pegging now. On the bottom end.

Makes very disparaging remarks about the quality of two of the most popular and best made guns on the market, when he gets some flak, softens his whine by changing his original comments. There's some cred there. His first comments were not just comments on how the gun fit him, they were overinflated, nonaccurate bashing of the quality of the firearm. When he gets corrected and confronted, Now creates something else to complain about. Just like a schoolyard bully or a troll.

There are two kinds of CVA owners. One is the guy that gets what he pays for and is happy with it.They are agood gun at a fair price. And his kind; Buys a CVA instead of a higher quality gun and tries to bring every other high end gun down to his level by bashing them. Rarely will you hear about a T/C owner bashing agains a CVA. You might hear one defending against a CVA owner bashing T/C though. Why is it that guys like this just have to bash T/C? I guess it is just envy.

Yup, a major troll and kia driver.

Hank
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM

I have read some of Randy Wakemans material I agree with some of it
and disagree on some of it by no means am I a RW follower but you can't deny all the injuries that the imported spanish guns have caused and will continue to cause suggesting to some one to try one without informing them about the problems they are having is idiotic in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:23 PM

thats another gun i can not shoot. The cva optima, its stock is to high and cuts deep into my cheek. Even my 30-30 marlin is no longer useable to me with open sights. I will admit however that my first words i chose were a bit over powering. they made it seem like i was bashing the quality when i was not. I was simply stating that the stock on the omega i looked at what cheap and did not offer me enough drop for fit me comfortably. The encore was just unusable. By the way, does TC or any other american made rifle give stats on their barrels like cva/bpi? i recall a conversation where they did not give the stats. My 2 most favorite so called *explosions waiting to happen" And show me an up to date injury with any cva/traditions/italian made firearm. RW simply talks about the cva apollo. In todays world, the news would be ALL OVER any company who's gun exploded.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM

And I guess the Holocaust never happened either.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:46 PM

heck yeah it did. my grandpa and grandma were held in those camps during ww2. They saw what went on. Find any new reports of any rifles exploding yet?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

I guess I was hoping that nobody or at least few would read your orginal postor even read your follow-ups if pglasgow and I pretty much ignored the subject and carried on another conversation.

On this forum I would like to and it has been in the past say we (I believe it is we) try very hard not to bash someone else's choice in guns. This has been a great open forum we are able to discuss old guns, new guns, good guns - not so good guns, but we try not to drag any through the trash.

As has been said you are entitiled to your opinion and I am allowed mine - but there must be a better way to present your argument than in the manner you have chosen. Your past track record may not be helping either on other occasions you have been very pointed to explain or exclaim your 150 as the best gun out there at the expense of others. I think everyone on here believes (and should) in their gun and their choice.
Some of us have been fortunate enough to use and shoot many different guns and we still have our own personal choices... I, like you,really dislike the size of the trigger guard on my Omega, but I knew that going in, and there are so many other positives about the gun they outweigh the negatives. I think you have made that descision about your 150 - while other see negatives you probably believe there are none.

Cayugad is probably the greatest diplomat on the forum he should be a politician but I know he has his beliefs that always do not jive with mine, but I certainly would not "trash" or what ever your terms were in you original post his thoughts.

But back to what i really wanted to ask... looking at your pictures of your 150 it really does look a lot like my Firebolt. Do you have one or two recoil lugs? Is the base inside your stock along the ram rod pretty much hollow? or has it been filled - mine has little pockets with dividers along the ram rod area. While I do not think my Firebolt came floated that is what I ended up doing because I could not keep equal pressure on the stock as the forearm was really pretty flexible... I really wish i had the gun here but it is in Kennewick. I would like to get some pics for you to compare. I am wondering if your stock might fit the Firebolt - think I will try to e-mail CVA and see what they say.

Contiued good luck with your 150

Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Frontier gander
I agree with you on the T/C omega and encore. I hate the feel of both of those rifles. And as far as the barrel exploding thing, If it is true then cva, winchester, and traditions wouldhave beenout of busness a long time ago.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:39 PM

i never said my x150 can out shoot anything. what i have said is that unlike the omega, my x-150 has shot everything from ballets to great plains bullets to cheap shots with very good accuracy. Has 2 lugs, solid stock from the palm grip back. As for my accuracy reducing while shooting, no i have not had that happen. The last time i shot it i blew out 12 great plains bullets without swabbing or taking a break. And exactly, you are entitled to your opinion as am i. I hold no grudges against anyone here that has responded. Everyone has made reviews on other brands and when i make a review on the most beloved muzzleloader that has no up's or downs, i get the mob on my ass. And my updated and more charming review is what i felt when i looked at the 2 guns. You choose the rifle that fits you. If it doesnt fit, no biggy, just move on down the line and find one that fits. My main point of posting this was the shock i felt when i shouldered the Encore. Ive owned TC, good guns i have no complains about the one i used to own. Im very satisfied with my rifles. They may not be the top brand or the best shooting but they are doing what an expensive muzzleloader can do. Havnt missed any deer in the 3 years ive owned the x-150, no misfires. Now just to show that my winchester isnt perfect i had 2 flaws with it. #1 the supplied gun strap hurt my shoulder and #2 the sights that came on it were not bright enough and that honestly is the only issues ive had with the rifle. I just finished floating the barrel on my x-150 so hopefully i will see improved patterns. im going to use my standard 120 grain pyro rs load and 295 gn powerbelts and shoot, then up my bullet to 348 grain. As for the traditions, its down. No complaints about that. But seriously guys, i did come off harsh on my first posting and i admit that. look at the post again and u will see my true feelings for it. I like the look of the encore stock but it does me no good.
Sabot heres a pic, i think your firebolt will drop in. The stock is heavy but its great when u have to take a long shot. very steady and easy to hold.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

Thanks! That is the same as mine, well it looks the same. I thinkI will have to get one of them. My stock is very light - gosh that would make a ton ofdiffence in the Firebolt... talking to CVA onMonday...

mike

Quick Reply: picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.