Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: picked up a tc encore and omega today!

frontier gander

My Omega came with a grey/black Laminate stock which is really nice, then i ordered a black synthectic stock off e-bay for hunting. I knew then and i know now the black synthetic is the low end of the TC stock line so I was not really expecting to much so it really did not bother me - it was really functional and it saved the wood stock from getting dinged up. But again I felt I knew what I was getting - bottom line.

In fact I even sent the stock into TC because one of the recoil lugs had a small fracture in it - they have replaced it and a new one is on the way - can not beat that with a big stick.

I am sure if I had a hankering for the Encore I could grow to like the stock, but again I have no interest. One of the reason that I retired the CVA Firebolt, which at the time was a CVA top line rifle, was the stock! it was terrible. It was soft and flexible just leaning it on a branch to shoot would change the POI as the stock pushed into the thin barrel. The stock was so soft just tightening the stock bolt the bolt would continue right through the stock. Lots of bedding and full floating the barrel did cure it all and it eventually became a very good shooter. I had another problem with the 300 grain bullet limit CVA put on the barrel with a 100 grains of powder. BUT I still have the gun so it wasn't that bad.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:21 PM

never held the firebolt. but what do you expect for a 100-150 rifle. i expected alot better on a $700 rifle and was let down. You should check out the stock on the apex and the x-150's. these suckers are solid and sturdy. I bet you could easily split open someones head using this stock and a good solid hit lol. its impossible to get any movement out of them. Nice cheek piece to.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

If I ever run into a rifle thatevery one that handles that brand of rifle that tells me that rifle is the best they ever shouldered, I'd buy one without doubt. Unfortunately, I know that just is not going to happen. Everyone is not alike... thank goodness. Body structure often times dictates what feels good to one and bad to another.

Just because one person handles some Thompson Center rifles and then proclaims to the forum how terrible the stock felt is not a reason for someone else to not judge the same riflefor themselves. I am sure others have picked up the X-150, Apex, Genesis, Optima (I for one), Knight Disc, Encore, or some other brand and shouldered them and decided they just did not fit, did not like the sight plain, or they did not like the way the rifle pulled. That by no means should imply that everyone else shouldering them will have the same experience.

Its strange that two of the most sought after and best selling rifles on the muzzle loading market should cause such a negative reaction, but Frontier Gander is more then entitled to his opinion. And again, it is only HIS opinion he reports on. Consider his views and then judge the same rifle for yourself. Watch almost any black powder hunting program and they are holding usually a Encore, Omega, Pro Hunter or a Knight.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander
. You should check out the stock on the apex and the x-150's. these suckers are solid and sturdy. I bet you could easily split open someones head using this stock and a good solid hit lol. its impossible to get any movement out of them
I know this to be false, at least for the apex. If you twist hard enough, you can see the stock flex some, most of the flex originating in that part of the stock where the action drops through. It is very, IMO, sturdy though.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

At the time that i bought the Firebolt - I could only wish that itwas $100-$150 gun. Back then CVA was pretty proud of this new gun and its fancy feeling stock...

Times they do change...

I do not know who your dealer is but I think he is a bit high on the price if you are quoting $700 for a stainless/Black synthestic -T7'sguy has them for $570.41 and he really keeps up with the best buy places.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_440/products_id/33715
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM

it was not only my opinion but also the guy behind the counter and all the other people who have said the same. im 6'3 and this guy was 5'7. theres quite a bit of difference in size and he couldny shoulder it comfortably. He said everyone who has picked it up had the same issue and thats why its still sitting there. Its been there since sept. this year. Maybe even longer. Hey sabot, i forgot to answer one of your questions, no it was not a fluted barrel. And true, not all stocks are built for everyone, but ive held a lot of rifles and muzzleloaders and the encore was by far the worse ive ever held. i wasnt exactly happy with the sights either, they were nice and bright as they should be, but the rear dots were to far away and left a big black gap when u lined up the front sight with it. Almost like the williams sights i had on my tc renegade.

Pglasgow, i kind of figured there would be some play due to the drop breech. But i can not get any noticeable play out of the x-150s stock. The stock is one the best things i like about the Win. brand Mlerl The only thing i did not like and the 1 thing i will be replacing when i order my Apex, is the aluminum ramrod, they are to noisey in the field. Plus they hurt like a SOB when u accidently fire them off
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, Mike, I don't know what you have against the appearance of the Encore. Went to the link and I am once again reminded of its unique appearance, alot like my contender pistol. I think she's pretty.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Plus they hurt like a SOB when u accidently fire them off
Dang F.G., you've gotta stop saying things like that. I get to laughing and I can't stop.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

I know cayugad thinks I'm nuts too... but that stock just doesn't look like a rifle stock.. I hate that big HUMP in the stock.. the lines are just not smooth. The first time I saw a stock like that was on the ol Buck-a-Wappa ( something like that I didn't like it then either) don't like thumbholes either... and the only good ice cream is vanilla... If God wanted all those other flavors - why is milk from the cow vanilla??? HAH! you don't see a cow giving chocolate, pink pine apple, or what ever the one that comes in three colors... vanilla rules
Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader.. I'd of thought you were nuts whether you liked the stock or not. Really, no kidding...

Personally I do not prefer the stock on an Encore, or Optima. They just don't appeal to me. Yet others consider them the best they ever held. Its all a matter of personal taste. Yet if someone wanted to give me one, I would not turn it down.

Quick Reply: picked up a tc encore and omega today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.