Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA

Old 12-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA

Do any of you guys like the CVA Optima?? I was thinking about getting that or the CVA Elkhorn. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA

There are thousands of happy CVA rifle shooters. out there. I am sure that loaded properly the rifle will shoot very well. Just stay within the manufacturer's load guidelines. You will hear a lot of talk of Spanish Barrels. There are some testing issues with them. But there are a lot of people very pleased with the way their BPI rifles shoot and handle.

I own a CVA Staghorn Magnum. It is a great shooting rifle but I never put in a magnum load. Only because of the pressure barrel issues (always in the back of my mind), it shoots best with 90 grains, and I feel safe and comfortable with that load. And that's the main thing. Shoot a load that you feel comfortable with and get good accuracy.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

wisbowhunter2009

I can not keep up with all of CVA's name changes so I am not sure what a Elkhorn is... The optima that is a different story - that is CVA clone of the TC Encore and probably one of CVa's better guns. You can buy different barrels for it and put them on the Optima frame - including centerfire barrel.

There areseveral differnt models of the Optima - so might want to check to see exactly which one you are looking at and what you will be getting...

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optpro.htm

Old 12-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

A cva Elkhorn is the cva firebolt or the hunterbolt. It is a bolt action but it has a primer ejector built in.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

wisbowhunter2009

Coming back after Wimuzzlemandescription of the Elkhorn - that is not a bad gun either - I have the Firebolt and I shot the heck out of it a few years ago - I have since moved on to other rifles but I still have it around here. The weakness (my perspective) of the Firebolt was the soft flexible stock and only one recoil lug... but other than that - not a bad gun shot real respectible - but offered the choice between the Optima and the Elk Horn - I would go Optima and I would suppose there is a price difference also.. I know there will be more paper work...

Old 12-15-2006, 12:06 PM

I like the sidekick a lot better than that one and it's cheaper I think. I personally don't like the way the optima feels at all.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I like the sidekick a lot better than that one and it's cheaper I think. I personally don't like the way the optima feels at all.
And therein, I think, lies the wisdom. It's personal. A person really should try them on for size before buying.

I think most are a good judge of value and they know how to value what they like in something. They know what they are looking for, they just aren't sure what is out there that can provide it. When I bought my Sidekick, I bought what others wanted me to buy. And no one, told me the negatives of the rifle as I see them now. This time, I bought what I wanted, saved some money, and up to now, Iam more satisfied with the purchase.

wisbowhunter209,you know better than anyone else what feels good to you.Get what feels right. Good luck with it.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

Couple of things - i was trying to answer his questions with the options provided - ifn it were my choice there other guns ahead of each one of the ones he was looking atand for me personally the NEF would not be one of them - nor would it be even ahead of the guns he mentioned.

I think pglasgow has answered the question the best.. and certainly provides the place to start...
Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 PM

I just got back from the range with my Optima. I really like the gun, it shoots well, and is very easy to clean. If you go that route check on the newest version the Optima Elite, as mentioned it is the CVA version of the Encore.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys they never had the Optima at the shop i was at. The guy sold 7 guns in 2 days. Which is alot for my town. SO i shoulderd the Kodiak and i bought it. It has a stainless steel barrel and a camo stock. Pretty cheap price to it was $285. I wish he woulda had the Optima but im happy with the kodiak to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.