Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best ML for the Money?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best ML for the Money?

I'm looking at getting a GOOD Inline.. Easy to clean and accurate. Whats the best one to get? Say for around 150-200 bucks..
Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best ML for the Money?

Look into the Tradition line of muzzleloaders. I have a traditions EvelutionEbolt 209 50 caliber its ease of cleaning is just outstanding. Let me also recomend tripple 7 pellets. They contain no sulfer so theres very little residue left in the barrel, also making the powder almost non corrosive and cutting the cleaning down to 2-4 times.Being that there is very little residue it allows you to reload without having to reswipe the barell before loading. If you got this months Deer & Deer hunting magazine, theres an excellent articles called Burning Powder. It goes into great review of Pyrodex, Tripple 7 and other powders, Tripple 7 has the best review of all others. But yes Traditions makes some very fine ML's and I recomend them to anyone on tight budget.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

$200.00 and the best muzzleloader you can find.. I'd look at a NEF Sidekick. They have excellent out of the box accuracy, all reports are very good triggers, their flaw is the ramrod could be better, but it can be replaced. I seldom ever shoot a factory ramrod anyway.

There is none of this barrel quality issue, although with good reason thousands of shooters ignore this aspect concerning Spanish Barrels, and the company (parent company is Marlin Rifle Co.) has been around building this style rifle for many years. Their design is simple and time tested.

The other way to go is with a BPI rifle like the Wolf. Traditions makes a rifle called the Yukon. All of them I am sure will do the job for a few extra days of hunting in the woods to an nice afternoon on the target range.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

I'm looking at getting a GOOD Inline.. Easy to clean and accurate. Whats the best one to get? Say for around 150-200 bucks..
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_451/products_id/34854

The BETTER inlines are above $250 and made by T/C, White, Lyman,Savage... plus a couple models by Knight. I like the NEF that poster Cayugad mentions - just don't like the telescoping ramrod or the primer carriers that must be used with it. Knight has models that must have the primer carriers also.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.The BETTER inlines are above $250 and made by T/C, White, Lyman,Savage... plus a couple models by Knight. I like the NEF that poster Cayugad mentions - just don't like the telescoping ramrod or the primer carriers that must be used with it. Knight has models that must have the primer carriers also.
[/quote]

As Cayugad mentioned the ramrod can be replaced with a very good one made by Hubbard Outdoors. Cost is additional $35. The plastic carriers can be eliminated by installing the .25ACP conversion breechplug which makes the rifle a lot better. Unfortunately cost is additional $60. I made both conversions to my Huntsman which is almost identical to the Sidekick and I love the rifle. In fact I think I like it better than my very expensive stainless Omega. Not sure yet but it looks awful close in performance and appears to be less sensitive to taking it apart and having it return to zero which the Omega does not do every time. I would get the Sidekick and possibly the ramrod and shoot it a lot and maybe later go with the .25ACP conversion if you do not like the plastic carriers. Also you should check where you intend to hunt to be sure that what you buy is legal in your intended hunting area. Some areas don't allow closed breech, some do not allow sabots, The Omega is basically a sabot shooter - does not shoot conicals very well except for Powerbelts, The Sidekick will shoot sabots and conicals quite well. Check your regulations!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mathewsboy

The stainless sidekick is around $229, the replacement ramrod $43 with shipping, the additional primer carriers $10. $282 dollars. I have one and it is a shooter, both conicals and lately the 375 SSB's. A good rifle. You may want to know its not so great points also. There is alot of blowback. It'll crud in your breech plug from the outside and you need to periodically clean the receiver in order to get a good lock on the action while range shooting. You can't get to the trigger assembly to clean it and blow back gets in there in spite of the primer carrier's little channels. The tool for removing the bridge plug is not particularly desirable.

I like her and I think she is worth every penny of what I paid for her. But why pay FULL PRICE for your rifle? There are some really great deals out there. Instead of getting your money's worth, why not get more than what you paid for? Good luck.

Oh and one other thing, my Sidekick won't shoot APP consistently at all. I think because the primer carrier only gets a limited portion of the primer's flash through the breech plug. You'll notice firing a primer while unloaded will literally blacken the carrier.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 AM

Go with the sidekick! I haven't found a better value for the money. It's built well, it's accurate, easy to clean and it's gotten good ratings. It doesn't get any better than that unless you find an after Christmas sale on a T/C or Knight. You won't be disappointed with them.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:53 AM

go to cabelas and order the winchester Apex with stainless steel barrel/black flex stock for $199, plus you'll get a $20 rebate. So for $180 and some change, you got a great rifle.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best chance you have of geting a really good one for that kind of money is year end sale of the Z5 Omega at Wal-mart. I got mine there last year foe $160 ,it just don't get much better than that. Lee
Old 12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

The best chance you have of geting a really good one for that kind of money is year end sale of the Z5 Omega at Wal-mart. I got mine there last year foe $160 ,it just don't get much better than that. Lee
Only problem is, there doesn't seem to bea Walmart in thecountry that still has a Z5 for the first reduction at $249. You cleaned house on that one Lee, but it ain't gonna happen this year. Ahhh Shucks!

Quick Reply: Best ML for the Money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.