Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis

Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Remington Genesis

The heavier spring will no doubt make the pull heavier, butwould also very likely reduce the creep. If I wasn't already so busy, I'd have half a notion to put together a redesign of the Genesis trigger. Maybe market it through Brownell's. These type of guns have really simple triggers - compared to a something like a semi-auto. Maybe something like a replacement hammer and trigger, with independent springs and a set screw to control sear engagement.

My Black Diamonds, for all their design shortcomings, have great triggers.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, I won't bore you any more than usual with a grat big ol picture but I just improved the trigger on my Genesis about a zillion %

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004552887929817754

The pic shows what I did, but it might be something only a few should try. So if you try it, you are on your own. There is one very minor drawback to what I did but it in no way affects function. It could also be avoided by doing part of this a bit differently. The honing of sear surfaces did very little - it was the other experiments that worked for me.

Trigger breaks much, much cleaner and could even be called crisp. It is also considerably lighter in pull weight and the rattle trap sounds are GONE!. What I did is so simple that I wonder why it wasn't done to begin with - and that worries me just a little.I went into the garage afterwardsand fired off 10 mixed primers, both CCI and Win209, without failure. I do believe the hammer now strikes faster and just a wee bit harder.

All of a sudden, this rifle seems a whole lot better!

Old 12-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

All of a sudden, this rifle seems a whole lot better!
Awesome! So when you gonna shoot her UC?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to get some appropriately sized bullets or get a .501 sizer ordered in. Have some LEE REALS but I'll probably wait until I have some other conicals ready to go. I've got some sabot stuff I could shoot now - but that aint my thang.

ps: I also do not yet have scope mounts - no point in me trying the irons, wouldn't be fair to the rifle.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:07 PM

Interesting approach to problem solving this little mousetrap. Did you heat up the hammer spring to put such a severe bend in it, or did you just grab it with the pliers and go? Obviously, anything you can do with springs sure beats doing what I did - particularly in case you need toreverse it. My deal was frustrating - took all morning and involved re-heat treating the parts after I finally got there. What sort of final pull weight did you get? Roskoe
Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roskoe, I don't have a very reliable trigger gauge but the gauge I have indicates 2.2 to 2.4 lbs on several consecutive pulls. By my calibrated finger measure -I think closer to a full 3 lbs. And I just grabbed two pair of needle nose and went after it. Got exciting when the larger spring flew out of the pliersand hit me in the chest once. I considered using heat but didn't know if I would be able to control that well enough. The bend was made in a non-critical part of the spring so even if it broke as I did the bending it would have still been functional. The picture I posted is not a real pic of the final result, I just doctored that original to show where I made the bends. It is a close representation of the bend around the hammer, but exaggerates the bend I made on the return spring.

The return spring bend is the one I would do differently if I had another. It does just what I intended but you've probably noticed that both legs of that spring fit into a cutout on the side of the hammer. The bend I made relieves most of the pressure exerted against the lower part of that cut on thehammer when it is uncocked - the result of that is the hammer is a bit "floppy" in the forward direction but it isn't serious at all. I much prefer that to the terrible trigger I had.

I've read how to make custom torsion springs but would probably hurt myself if I tried it.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Resurrection...

I FINALLY shot the Genesis. No accuracy results though - ran into a problem.

At first thought things were fine. Started shooting some LEE improvedMinie conicals (altered base cup) that weigh just shy of 400 grains. Was shooting 65 grains (by weight) of T7 FFg in vials remaining from last fall. Used CCI 209 primers just for that halibut and that may have been a very big mistake. The LEE Minies had been sized to .501 and only took a bit of palm pressure to start, then slid down the bore almost too easily. At 25 yards the first shots tracked nicely and I was able to get the scope adjusted at that range with 4 bullets.

Moved the target box out to 100 and tried some PowerPunch conicals. These took just a wee bit more palm pressure to start (must have been .503 size) but then went down the bore just as easily as the Minies. My first shot with those at 100 was about 4" dead low of the bullseye - just about where I figured it would be. I don't know the weight of those PowerPunch bullets as I've not bothered to weigh them, but I knew they were considerably heavier than the Minies. I had a weak load next - might have been contaminated powder or just a short measure - and it was lower still.

Started tweaking the scope adjustments again and brought the impact to about even with bull on the horizontal but the next shot went left about 4 inches. Fired again and hit right. That's okay though, what's now bothering me is that it is getting more difficult with each shot to open the "action". Two more shots and I could no longer open the pivoting action. Done.

There was a light deposit of residue on the bottom of the scope over the action but it was of no real consequence. Others have claimed none of that encountered with their Genesis so that might be just this particular rifle. Cleanup was fairly easy and there were no problems noted during that process.

The rifle handles recoil from the big conicals exceptionally well and would very probably shoot well with a bit of experimentation. I have a feeling sabots might perform much better from the riflebut they're not for me. Benefit would surely be had from re-doing the internal crown as the rifling seems to end at an almost 90° angle. Thatwould eliminate overcoming the sharp hump and allow conicals to load more evenly (AND sabots - this really needs doing - a little hard to figure out how to accomplish itwithout a lathe). Primers were erratic so far as their removal - one would come out very easily while the next required some prying. Blowback was the reason for the action locking up, perhaps wiping out the action every 3 or 4 shots would prevent that from happening. A replacment breech plug and/or better fitting primer might alleviate some of that blowback as well.

I will say my trigger work paid off as the trigger broke very cleanly and there was no perceived delay in ignitionat any time. May yet do a bitmore tweaking using different primers and loads - as well as perhaps giving those Lee Minies a bit more of an effort.

Don't know if I want to mess with further experimentation though - have other rifles that need shooting .....

Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

Pretty much everything is UC's fault, that is for sure!

Once you find that "best mounting system for a scope", let me know, I might make ya a good deal on it.

And SL, just wait on the Genesis, because UC'll have one for sale soon.

I know, "Shuddup".

Old 02-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

u lookun ta buy, Cdad?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 AM

I don't have any money, I have to send it all to Tom for triggers. May not ever be able to get those triggers again, you know? I bought one from Doc a few months ago for about $50. I'm figgurin one day, I might be able to sell one back to him for twice that much.

I just wanted to give conicaloader a headsup on yer Genesis.

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.