Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

easy load sabots

Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default easy load sabots

Help me out guys...

I saw a commercial a while back for "easy loading sabots" I can't remember who made them... Anyone remember????

Also has anyone had experience with them? I hunt with powerbelts right now because I hate pounding the damn sabots down my barrel!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: easy load sabots

newguy23

There are a couple of easy loading sabots on the market. MMP makes one for .451/.452 bullets into a 50 cal rifle and Harvester makes one in a line called "Crush Rib' sabots. Harvester offers "crush ribs" in both 44/50 cal and 45/50 cal.

Both Harvester and MMP offer an in between thickness also MMP's HPH-24 is thinner than their HPH-12 and the regular Harvester is comparable to the HPH-12...

What rifle are you shooting - if I knew that I could come closer to telling you what might work or if you call MMP (www.mmpsabots.com) they can tell you exactly what sabot will work best in your gun....

Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

TC Omega with a stainless steel fluted barrel. What are your suggestions?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

newguy23

Well this might be an easy one - I shoot a SS Omega/laminate stockand the MMP HPH-24 works really well for me. I do also carry a MMP 3p EZ load sabot for a quick second shot with a fouled barrel - but I really have given up thinking I can load quickly...

T7 another poster here really like the Harvester linebetter, but I am not sure if it is the regular Harvester or the "crush rib"

With the HPH-24 I can shoot either a .451 or a .452 without any loading problems just push it down.

If you are into the TC Shockwave - the new yellow 2 petal sabot (made by MMP) I think they call it the super glide will work also.

Guess I should asked also what bullet do you want to shoot? I am not a Shockwave (SST) fan so I do not shoot them but if you are into a Hornady, Speer, or Nosler they all go down my Omega.

Call Connie at MMP and she can set you up or go to your local outlet and get some TC Mag Express Sabots (black) check the bottom of the sabot (the cup) if it has a stair step configuration it is an MMP HPH-24 if it has a smooth cup it is a Harvester.

mike
Old 12-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader -

You have exactly the same set up I have.

You went a little technical on me. I was looking for a bullet/sabot combo,I apologize, when I say sabot I refer to the whole package, not just the plastic "cup".

The shockwaves are what turned me off to sabots... I can't load them at all. I want something that is similar to loading the powerbelts in ease, but might offer a little more accuracy.

Can you tell me the sabot/bullet combo you use, I assume the sabot is the MMP HPH-24, but what bullet do you use?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

newguy23

Have you tried the new Shockwave with the yellow super glide sabot? I won't use them but a lot of people do. There weresome problems with the older SW and the black sabots they came with....

I was looking for a bullet/sabot combo,I apologize, when I say sabot I refer to the whole package, not just the plastic "cup".
I usually do not purchase the packages they are to expsenive - I normally purchase boxes of bullets then purchase packs of sabots - the sabots that Iknow work for me.

The "cup" is the bottom of the sabot - the formation of the cup will help identify who really makes the sabot...

What do I shoot?

I use to shoot a whole of Hornady .452 300 grain XTP's @ paper and for plinking....

For hunting I shoot two different Noslers.... a .451 Nosler Partition -> 300 grain Protected Point for elk and a 260 grain HP for whitetail or muleys...

Follow this link: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1862545

The Noslers are really expsensive and going up in price so I am working with the Speer Gold Dot line as maybe a replacement for the Noslers... The Gold Dots are a Bonded Bullet (lead can not separate from the copper) and they have copper dot that stops expansion allowing the bullet to retain wait and continue driving through the animal..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1794250

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1791957

All of these are shot in an HPH-24 sabot - the MMP HPH-3p EZ load works equally well but loads a little easier...

I should also tell you I shoot 100 grains of T7-2f with these bullets and I use the 25 acp for the ignition source vs the 209 - the 25 acp is virtually clean - no soot or blow back at all...

mike

Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader... Man you are a wealth of info... I hope I am not bugging you too much...

1) can I use the 25 acp in my Omega without a conversion?

2) what is the difference between the HPH-24 and HPH-12?

3) Let me know how the speer gold dots work, I might go ahead and get the spears quickly before they go up in price.

I just thought I would ask, have you ever tried american pioneer powder? When you speak of soot I was surprised you used 777, I have been completely disappointed with the 777 fouling my barrel. I love APP and have had no problem with moisture, which some claim.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

newguy23

Not a wealth of information - just been there done that type of stuff. There are lot on people on this forum that have a ton of information... we all always do not agree on every point but we do tell you what works for us...

1) can I use the 25 acp in my Omega without a conversion?
No you have to purchase the conversion from PR Bullets. MLKieth is the one that finally made me take the jump - I liked shooting my 209's but it would really be hard to go back now. When I go target shooting I may shoot up 30 to fourty rounds and now I do not have to clean the drop block at all.. AndI do prefer the 25 ACP over the Hornet system...

http://www.prbullet.com/hornet.htm

2) what is the difference between the HPH-24 and HPH-12? The HPH-12 is a thicker sabot made for a larger bore... MMP description...
[blockquote]The big difference between Black HPH12 and HPH24 is HPH24 is .002" smaller
in loaded diameter. Loaded diameter is a sabot with a bullet inserted.
With a .452 diameter bullet the HPH12 is .507-.508" diameter, the HPH24 is .505"-.506" diameter.
If you have a tight loading rifle you may want to choose the HPH24.
However, if you shoot a Savage muzzleloader with smokeless powder the HPH24
may not fit tight enough to consistently ignite the smokeless powder.
The HPH12 is the stronger of the two sabots although both usually shoot very well with hot charges.
[/blockquote]
3) Let me know how the speer gold dots work, I might go ahead and get the spears quickly before they go up in price.

Here is a target from a day at the range - I was testing the 3p ez load sabot for MMP. This target was shot with my A&H but you can see theyshoot great...

I just thought I would ask, have you ever tried american pioneer powder?
I use to shoot Claen Shot which was the predicessor to APP... It was OK but it would clump on me (absorb moisture) and it was not that hot.
When you speak of soot I was surprised you used 777, I have been completely disappointed with the 777 fouling my barrel.I do not experiance the normal "crud ring" tothe extent that a lot ofother people do, in fact it is almost non-existant in all of my guns and certainly nothing that a dam patch won't clear in a jiff... I believe it is the way I condition my barrels but that is whole'nother story. I love APP and have had no problem with moisture, which some claim. If you really like APP I'l bet you would jump through circles for the Black Mag 3 powder... But I am stuck on T7 - it is consistent, it is powerful, and it performs for me. I am one of those odd ducks that never unloads the barrel - my loads may stay in for weeks at a time and I have know doubt that they will go off as planned and deliever the full effect.

Thanks for the help. you bet

here ya go - I am just sitting here loading shotgun shells for trap shooting so answering questions on the computer is a good break....

mike

Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0012633.jsp
Old 12-14-2006, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to try Precision Rifles bullets. I tried some yesterday in my Knight Revelution. I thought they loaded just as easy as Power Belts. They grouped real good at 50yrds. Useing 75grs 777 & 250gr bullet. They might be hard to find pending where you live. I have only seen them at Cabelas Dead CenterBullets & my local gun shop.

Quick Reply: easy load sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.