Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

easy load sabots

Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: easy load sabots

newguy23

Have you tried the new Shockwave with the yellow super glide sabot? I won't use them but a lot of people do. There weresome problems with the older SW and the black sabots they came with....
Sabotloader, just curious, what problems were people having with them?Ive used them for 2 or 3 years now without any problems but I know another guy that has some trouble getting them started down his barrel, they shoot great out of his gun but reloadings a slow process with them for him.

I recomended a shorter ball starter as he was just using his ramrod, just curious if theres maybe something else going on with them Im missing?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

petasux

First, I would tell you that you should never need a starter to get a sabot/bullet combination down. The ram rod and a palm cup of some sort in the field and @ the range just a plain old range rod. If a short starter is required you really need to think about changing sabots. It is one of those perpetuaited myths that a sabot has to load hard to shoot well (and in the same breath it can not load to easy either). I should say that appplies to the new "polymere" sabots the old plastic ones that was a somewhat different story or in the Savage.

Originally the iniatial sabot supplied with the Shockwave was a Harvester - then a switch to MMP - the first MMP sabots supplied with the shockwaves, and it was a large run of them, were HPH-12's They will load but good luck.... the next run of SW came with HPH-24's. These are all black sabots... It sounds like you have either the older Harvester of the newer MMP's (Harvesters have a smooth cupand MMP's have a stair stepped cup on the powder end). Today TC and MMP have made a new yellow super glide sabot that is suppose to work really well - Ido not use the SW so I can not really tell you. That sabot is under contract to TC so MMP can not sell it to the public - but they did from that develop the black 3 petaled sabot that really workswell in tight barrels.

mike
Old 12-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

These bullets are a design-cross between the XTP and Gold Dots. They come equipped with Crush Ribs and are easy loaders. Also come in 260 grain for around $5.46 for 12.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15030
Old 12-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info sabotloader, like I said, I dont have any problems with them personally in my new gun.I used a short starter for a lot of years now starting with my old sidelock and round balls so its more force of habit then any actual loading problems on my part.

The other guy doesnt have a tight barrel, just has a hell of a time getting his bullet started straight, I never actually shot with him so Im not sure what hes doing wrong in that department.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Have been using XTP's for years with ease of loading. The ones I have problems loading in my Knight Wolverine are the Barnes.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:15 AM

I think there is a slight misconception out there that everyone should focus on how easy the gun loads. Although important they also need to experiment to duplicate accuracy. I love to shoot so I have tried several different things but for "me"... I settled with the Shockwave's. With a 110gr load and a 250gr SW I can hit INSIDE a 2" circle 8 out of 10 times at 100meters. On a good calm day I have even done better then that. Many guys dont believe me and say its impossible with a ML, and I just laugh at them cause there stuck in the rut of using the same ole stuff over and over. Experiment and make sure you have good stuff to start with to get accurate.

Here is what I do when shooting my Encore-

T/C Encore .50
Nikon Scope (new this year and I love it)
Tripe Se7en loose 110gr
250gr Shockwave (new style is as accurate as old style)

Maintaining quality between shots by replicating the cleaning process EXACTLY the same way every time is extremely important. If you are lazy and just want to shoot one after another and not swab after shots then you will never be able to load easy and you will never be able to get any accuracy. My first shoot at the range is always the only slightly off shot I have... and its really not too far off. By swabbing between shots I can load very easy and fast. In fact I think I can run a damp patch and then a dry patch between shots and then load before some guys try just loading without cleaning because they are struggling to push there bullet down there barrels.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Powerbelts are the easiest I've tried. I've never even used a bullet starter with them.