Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anti Sieze

Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default Anti Sieze

Greets fm CO

Just how much anti sieze do I need to apply to the breech plug. I am applying it for the first time to my new Knight Revolution. Seemed like I put too much as some came back out. I used to do this to spark plugs and it worked very well, same principle, I guess. My manual says to only tighten the plug hand tight. Is this enough?
Pardon my ignorance but this is my first inline.
Ray
Old 12-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anti Sieze

ORIGINAL: OldFart

Greets fm CO

Just how much anti sieze do I need to apply to the breech plug. I am applying it for the first time to my new Knight Revolution. Seemed like I put too much as some came back out. I used to do this to spark plugs and it worked very well, same principle, I guess. My manual says to only tighten the plug hand tight. Is this enough?
Pardon my ignorance but this is my first inline.
Ray
I like to coat all the threads level on the plug. Also I expect some anti seize to come back out the back when I screw in the plug. Just some Q-tips and you can clean that up real easy. As for screwing it in hand tight, I screw the plug in, then back it off 1/4 turn. I then have no problems getting it back out.

On the range every 10 shots or so, I like to take the plug and give it a twist back and fourth to make sure it is not seizing.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

OldFart

I do it a little different than cayugad - I guess I have another theory on all of this.... I do not use any grease - I personally think it is a gooy mess. I tried it for awhile but I ended up shooting grease up in the barrel even sometimes felt I was contaminating some of the powder loads. I use teflon tape, either white or pink, depending on how tight yourbreech plug might be. I also tighten the teflon covered breechplug face up against the mating surface in the barrel. By tighten I mean hand snug compressing the teflon but not crushing it or tearing it. I believe it is important to stop the blowback and gasses on the face of the BP not the threads. With this system I am able to shoot a whole range session without doing anything with my breech plug till I get home.

This system works for me, but it did take me awhile to learn how to do thisand to gain the the trust - NOBODY wants a stuck BP -

Good luck in however you decide to seal your BP but until you are confident check it as cayugad suggested...

Old 12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing the same thhing as Sabotloader - especially during hunting season when I may only shoot once before cleaning. Makes for a qick cleaning.

Although I have shot as many as 12 times on the range with no grease, I still use a little on the tape if I think I might shoot more then that.

Steve
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Spike

I also have tried sabotloader's method with success. In my omega I need to use the white teflon tape and it is a snug fit. The advantage for this in the hunting season is exactly what Steve said. At the end of the day when I haven't taken a shot (most days) there is no powder stuck to the threads of the breech making clean up a breeze. Tom
Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tryed the plummers tape last year.It was a pain in the butt to apply correctly and then remove after removing breech plug.

Guess the antisieze/lubricant compound I've been using has spoiled me.

1 bottle of the stuff will last a life time.I also apply it to nipples,nuts,bolts
turnbuckle threads used on chains to secure deer stands.I hunt with two guys who were notorious for getting plugs frozen.They used nuttin - nada on breech threads.I put some antisieze in a couple 35mm film canisters and gave it to them both.They now use it!

I would suggest if you've used it on spark plugs you might consider stickin with it on breech plug.Very easy to apply - just enough to completely cover threads.

I've never ever had a breech plug stick after applying this stuff.

Best of luck on whatever you use.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never put any lube on my breach plug while hunting... I own a Kight DISC so I'll only be shooting the gun onceI'm not going to take a chance on breach lube fowling my powder[]As far as the tape. I'm not going to take a chance on that !@#$clogging my flash hole...

I thank god that he blessed me with common sense
Old 12-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I never put any lube on my breach plug while hunting... I own a Kight DISC so I'll only be shooting the gun onceI'm not going to take a chance on breach lube fowling my powder[]As far as the tape. I'm not going to take a chance on that !@#$clogging my flash hole...

I thank god that he blessed me with common sense
The grease/anti-seize gets pushed backwards a bitas you screw the plug in. Same with the tape. Besides, no one I know uses that much overlap at the breechplug flashhole-end - that would bend it down enough to cover the hole. Then, the primer flash would pentrate that tape anyways - even if it did.

Please... all ML forum members here have enough common sense.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow - I also own a Knight disc.

Been using Antsieze on the Knight BP for years and on nipple threads of 2 other muzzle loaders and on spark plugs for decades.Guess I got enough common sense not to over do it.Never had problem with getting it in flash hole or anywhere else but the threads it was intended to protect.
Never had a spark plug misfire either - lucky or maybe common sense

We see this topic 1-2 a year with differing opinions on what to use.
Many others have stated they use "Antiseize".

If you chose not to use it - Please don't - or - Use nothing.This forum only offers others some useful info - advice - choices

Have A Good One

Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

The grease/anti-seize gets pushed backwards a bitas you screw the plug in. Same with the tape.
Actually if you apply the correct thickness of tape the correct way it will not move backwards at all. If everything is right it should screw just like a lubricated bolt. If the tape catches, tears, or wads up you need to change your approach. I always end polishing the breech plug threads and the threads that the BP screws in to prevent this.

Besides, no one I know uses that much overlap at the breechplug flashhole-end - that would bend it down enough to cover the hole. Then, the primer flash would pentrate that tape anyways - even if it did.
You are absolutely correct here the discharge of the prime BLOWS the tape away even if it is covering the flash hole.

The way I check my tape job is to check the bore from the muzzle with a light - If I do not see tape all the way around on the breech plug then i did not get it installed evenly or correctly - i really do not care if the flash is covered or not. Pop one cap or primer as I think most of us do before we load and the tapeis blown away - if you are using shotgun primers it will blow it away even if it is loaded - It will not stop the load from going off. The excess tape is blown back up against you BP and forced into any place that the gas my try to escape backwards... it does really seal the the breech threads...

Excess grease can contaminate your load, but those that are using it know and understand that and they take the steps to prevent it - althought the greas thing is not for me. I worry about contamination and the mess bothers me.

Quick Reply: Anti Sieze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.