Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anti Sieze

Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anti Sieze

frontier gander

Good luck I really hope it works for you - member snug the breech plug up against the barrel - compress the tape but do not crush it or tear it...

Also if it goes into tight and you are using the pink tape you might have to switch to the white tape - i can not remember which one I use on the Firebolt, but i think it was pink - one wrap from nose down to the end of the plug - you can not see it in the pics but I even over-wrap the cap end a little bit...

Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader I got your email. Thank you so much I owe you one.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 PM

okay i just finished up. also found an excellent breechplug cleaner. BAM! that product worked like a charm. I use the pink TC tape. it screwed in with a little pressure. i did it all by hand so it wasnt much pressure, its snug. Took a flashlight and i can see the pink tape i left folded over the edges a little. Now the crappy thing, i only have 3 powerbelts to shoot lol. I cant spend any $$ right now, not with the new baby on the way and a fur hat im watching on ebay. Those 3 powerbelts will have to do for now. Hey i also found one of my muzzleloader 209 caps, i matched it up with the regular shotgun primer and the shotgun primer had a huge hole while the regular muzzleloader 209w was half the size. The kleenbores also have a hole the size of the regular shotgun primer. Maybe this is why i got powder burn in my eye the other day? Would also be nice to find primers with the hole in the middle and not off center, im sure that would improve flame getting into the flashhole.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:57 AM

i have always used white lithium grease made by Permatex. Never loosenedthe plugat the range or anything. Sometimes fired as many as 40-50 rounds without removing the plug. Had a problem getting the plug outa few times. Almost made my old Staghorn a one piece musket: Had to put the receiver in a vise to get it out. Think i will try loosening the plug at ther range every ten shots or so.

The breech plug of my Encore comes out much easier than the two CVAs that i own.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

If you rotated that in by hand - it really sounds like you got it in correctly. One thing that i do is after I have the plug taped - I turn it between my thumb and forefinger and apply pressure pushing the tape down into the threads. That makes it a little easier to put the plug in and not wad up the tape. When you looked down the barrel you could see pink all the way around the BP - Correct? If so you should be ready to go...

Primers - the best primer I have used is the Remington 209-4, but I do not know if it is available any longer. These primers were built for 410 shotgun shells and are not as hot as others. I also must admit I have never tried the new fan-dangled ML primers...

Congrats on the addition to the family... when is the event suppose to occur? You realize if this is going to be a Christmas baby he/she will be mad at you later in life cause you guys and the rest of the family are going to want to combine birthday with Christmas - there he/she WILL figure out he/she is getting less presents.... You'll see...I promise

Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Hopefully i can order my new baby today if my money order is in the mail. Yes i can see pink all the way around and i also used my thumb and index finger to push it into the threads. Im going to try the kleenbores once i go out to shoot, see how they shoot. Dont worry,i'll keep the new baby updated when i order it.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

Crap... you got me! I thought you were preparing for the arrival of a real baby - not a gun baby....
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM

I used the pink tape for years - often in conjunction with a little Gorilla Grease on the threads. No problems. But I ran out last summer, and tried a product called One Grease by Slick 50. This stuff is really showing promise as a breech plug grease. And a standard auto size tube could be portioned out into maybe 20 film canister size containers, for about the same price as a small tube of the regular anti sieze MZ breech plug grease.