Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anti Sieze

Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anti Sieze

I might have to try the tape thing
Old 12-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wimuzzleman

There is a kinda ART to doing it correctly - or what I think is correctly so if you are speerimenting be sure to follow Cayugad's thought of just cracking the BP after 10 shots the re-snug it up. When you crack it though you stand a chance destroying the tape - but i do not want you to freeze your plug in place. If for some reason you do - please don't take the action out of the stock pour boiling water down the barrel - give it time to dissolve them try loosen the BP..

I might have a write up for taping I will have to look I know I have pictures...

i did find a copy if your interested let me know - I'll to e-mail it to you it is to long for a PM...

Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

thanks sabotloader any help would be great.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:13 PM

i used tape for a while too. You actually do want to back it off just a little after 3 or 4 shots. i left mine snug once and after6 shots i packed up, went inside to start cleaning it and it was froze up. Had to pull the barrel and use a small propane torch to heat the breech area for a minute and then it backed out. I stopped using tape after i hung my rifle up, then when to pull the breech plug and found the tape had dried to a crisp while it sat. Plus it was a pain cleaning it out of the threads. Im back to using the grease and just taking the time to back it out a little after 4 shots. Cleaning up the grease is easier than trying to get tiny little pieces of tape out of the threads. I guess the tape would be fine if you back the plug out some as soon as u are done shooting and dont let the barrel cool down.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am with sabotloader and others, useteflon tape. DareI say, never had a stuck plug. When at the range Ibreakthe breachwhile it is still warm as a precautionary measure. In the field not a concern.

I reverse wrap the teflon (to the leftfor righty..tighty)and make sure it is polished before screwing it in. I don't get any backing out and retain full coverage.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

I gotta tell you FG I shoot 20-30 times at the rock pit and never touch my breech plug and it turns out just fine - started doing this with the Firebolt so I know it will work with a CVA... The key is if the plug goes in smoothly and if you look down the barrel do you see the tape all the way around the BP...

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 PM

thats exactly what i did. What really turned me off was when i pulled the plug and it looked exactly what the bottom right hand pic looked like. i had 3 great tries with the tape but got turned off by having to use a tooth pick to scrape out the tape that was stuck in the threads. I got a entire tube of grease to use so i dont mind. I'll experiment with the tape again someday.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

No No you don't pick it out - you get a breech brush push it in pull it out and it brings the old tape out... do this a couple of times and the breech threads will be clean and ready to go again...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=55530&hvarTarget=sea rch&cmCat=SearchResults

The bigger bottle brush on the left

Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wimuzzleman

e-mail sent, but sometimes the e-mail from this site does not always work - so if you do not get it let me know and i will get you real e-mail from you in a PM and send it again...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM

toothpick worked for awhile untill i bought a .54 bore brush and found that it fit and worked. im cleaning my breech plug now and going to seal it with tape and see what i can see when i look down the bore.

Quick Reply: Anti Sieze

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.