Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My APEX arrived

Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My APEX arrived

It's here. Thanks to Cabelas for gittin it here quick. Say I really to like the way she feels.

Balance:

The balance point is right about the muzzle side pair of Scope base screws. With scope it should be right in front of the trigger guard, they way my high powered rifles are balanced. The balance is an improvement over my Sidekick which balance point is centered in forearm in spite of its shorter barrel. Certainly feels more comfy when sighting offhand to me.

Trigger:

In my way of thinking, the trigger isn't as good as the sidekick. There is a very short pull before breaking and it does notpull as easy. If the sidekick is 3.5 to 4.0 lbs, I'd say the Apex is 4.25-4.5 lbs. I have not scaled it. Not horrible in my estimation, but I would really have liked a trigger more like the sidekick. The trigger spring is not heavy soit looks like trigger could potentially be improved with a little honing. Looks like access to at least one surface would be easy without disassembling the action. I'm gonna try her like she is and only have the trigger modified iflater feel I must.

Handling:

I found the rifle cheeked at a compromise between the open sights and a scope. I had to press my cheek a little firmer than perfect to sight the open sights. I may cheek a littlelower on the cheekthan perfect with a scope on her, we'll see. The weight of the rifle is supposed to be 8.25 lbs. and I can feel the extra weight, but when shouldered, it feels lighter than my sidekick due to the balance. With scope, I should see a reduction of 20% in recoil for the same loads I fire in the sidekick.

Cleaning:

I think the APEX will be easy to clean. I really like fact that all the action comes out with the barrel. Looks likethree allen headscrews will let you get into the trigger/hammer/action assembly if one must. But right now I'm not planning to open it up while cleaning.

The real test is coming.

Of course the real test is "will she shoot". I don't have the answer to that one yet but will be finding out in the next few weeks.

I can tell the rifle was purchased before and returned, but it has not been shot the best I can tell. Can't explain why it was returned. I notice the package with tools has been opened. May they have had a problem with scope mounting? My first impression of the hammer was that it was too light. It's driven by a fairly light spring also. While that concerned me a little, I haven't heard anyone complain about insufficent primer ignition, and am thinking every thing will probably be fine.

I'm gonna keep her. Right now my impression is that for $60 dollars less than I spent on my Stainless Sidekick, I got more rifle, stainless,and a sling. But the Apex has to beat it at the range to really impress me. I have a hunch that it will achieve par with it if not better. I really like the solid stock/two recoil lug design for a stable platform.

Dang, I want to go shoot it.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My APEX arrived

Congrats again on your new rifle. You sound as happy as a kid on christmas.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Was the UPS person wearing a Santa Claus suit? Congratulations on your new rifle. I am glad you are pleased with it. I will be looking forward to your range reports as I value your opinion on such matters. Have you decided what kind of load you want to try first?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys,

You know, come to think of it, that UPS guy was "lively and quick" and a "right jolly old elf" . . . must have been Santa!

Hmmm, my first load. I have lots of BP around but my substitute stash is really dwindling. I plan to do alot of testing with the 375 and 435 SSB's. I have 4 boxes of 375's so Ithink I will try them with 80 grains 3f Goex to start. I really want to see how hard I can push them so I will test higher charges untilthe groups open.

80 grains will be enough to get me to 200 yards with 40 clicks of the new scope and will deliver about 1140 ft-lbs at that range. So I am obviously hopeful that the Apex can handle 80 grains and group the 375's tightly. Anyway thats the plan. You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? The hoped forballistics arebelow.

On another note, I was surprised to find the rifling of my Apex incorporating and idea I have long wanted to incorporate in a custom barrel. The lands are much more narrow than the grooves. I've alway thought that would ease loading and help prevent the shearing ofboth sabots andconicals. For conicals I think the grooves should be just a little deeper, but since I have lots of them, I'll be testing some them too, and maybe the rifle will prove me wrong about that.

Now the 3f APP, just wouldn't shoot at all in my sidekick. I have a whole pound I paid $25 for and if anyone has any load suggestions on if and how I can get it to work in the APEX, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Spike

I just got my APEX on Monday and agree with you on every point. The gun comes up very comfortably on me. One thing that I thought could be improved is the sling swivels are plastic. I tend to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but if it's plastic, I tend to break it, so those may be getting swapped soon. I also wasn't impressed that there was an adhesive residue on the ramrod that had it glued in place. I had to remove the barrel to get the rod to finally slide out. Despite these 2 annoyances, they do not affect the direct performance of the gun. Plus I'll take some annoyance for the price I paid ($108.50 delivered).

I'm planning to go with 100 gr. of Pyrodex pellets and the 270 gr. PowerBeltPlatinums. I've read a couple posts whereguys getgood groupswith theAPEX and sister CVAs with this combo. Ihave Xmas shopping to do, but I may get it to the range this weekend.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

OK thats it now I want an apex. My girlfriend is gonna be pissed at me so I think I just might blame Pglasqow. You made it way to apealing.

Ps, if you guys dont see me on the forum anymore it is because my girlfriend grounded me from it. I am buying way to much black powder stuff and she will blame you all for it... Only jokeing
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

OK thats it now I want an apex. My girlfriend is gonna be pissed at me so I think I just might blame Pglasqow. You made it way to apealing.
It will great to have a fellow Apex owner share info and loads with. Update us when you get it!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

Ps, if you guys dont see me on the forum anymore it is because my girlfriend grounded me from it. I am buying way to much black powder stuff and she will blame you all for it... Only jokeing
tell her it was impulse buying. Better yet, don't tell her at all.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

see now you are trying to get him in trouble like you do me.... we are all just trying to keep up with you..
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
Dominant Buck

can't blame this one on me.. I don't own an Apex. This is all Pglasgow's doing.

Quick Reply: My APEX arrived

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.