Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rust in barrel

Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Rust in barrel

During the winterI store my T/C Black diamoundin a soft case,lubed w/ bore butter, but mosture hasformed & some rust has started,some pits I cant get out in the middle of the barrel.Is this a accuracy problem ? In a T/C BD.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rust in barrel

Only shooting it will determine if its gonna be a problem. A good many rifles shoot very well with pits in the barrel. Yours probably will also shoot well in spite of the pits.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Pits probably won't matter. I'd advise against ever storing a gun in a soft case. Better leaning in the corner of a closet if you don't have a gun cabinet.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:29 PM

dont use borebutter in your rifle when u store it. i had a TC renegade and i used to use that when i'd put it away, big mistake. It was always full of rust when i would wipe it out. It even coated my stainless steel barrel with rust. I only use that stuff on my patches and thats it. Now all my barrels get a shot of rem oil.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HORN-HUNTER

During the winterI store my T/C Black diamoundin a soft case,lubed w/ bore butter, but mosture hasformed & some rust has started,some pits I cant get out in the middle of the barrel.Is this a accuracy problem ? In a T/C BD.
Only shooting it will find out the true answer to your question. Throw the bore butter in the garbage if you are not using it for lubing patches or conicals. Get a quality gun oil. The best ones only cost pennies for each &every bore swab. If you have a dusty or dirty environment around your gun, keep it in the far corner of a closet in a silicone rifle sac/sleeve.Hunting stores sell them.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Pits probably won't matter. I'd advise against ever storing a gun in a soft case. Better leaning in the corner of a closet if you don't have a gun cabinet.
I also agree!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont leave a gun in those egg foam hard cases either. ditch the bore butter for regular gun oil when in long term storage (more than 2 or 3 weeks). just swab out the oil before shooting again.