Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thanks for good, clean kill

Old 12-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks for good, clean kill

Thanks in part to some interaction on this site with you guys,I got over the misfire on the big 8 pointer. After giving the old CVA a good cleaning, I loaded and hunted but didn't shoot. I then pulled the Maxiball and blew out the Pyrodex and reloaded for Saturday AM. Four does came by before legal shooting time and a doe with two fawns around 7:15. I passed on her as the fawns were thesmallest I've seen lately. Around 8:30, two does with two fawns approached to 40 yds. After studying them a while, I took the smaller of the two does for the freezer. The charge fired instantly and they took off. When I climbed down and went to the impact point there was blood sprayed on the waist high grass every ten feet. Lots of it. The T/C 370 maxiball had entered the right shoulder and cut the carotid arterybefore exitingthe far side of her lower neck. At the end of the 100 yard trail she lay, bled out, a fat 17 month old doe. I don't think I'll ever leave a load in the old gun again. Thanks for your tips.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Thanks for good, clean kill

those are real good eating doe.. still young, fat, all bleed out.. you will be smiling at the dinner table with that one. Congratulations on making a good shot and harvesting a black powder deer...