Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new black powder hunter

Old 12-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new black powder hunter

Hi Everyone, I wanted to add a new twist to my deer hunting in Southern Illinois so, after talking myself in and out of a black powder gunfor the last 6-7 years I finally broke down.....A buddy of mine had a new in the box, CVA Wolf 50cal. I'm looking forward to hunting with it next year and may try to get a black powder permit for the weekend after the 2nd shotgun season. I've read other black powder sites and it looks like the majority of shooters recommend 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and 245 gr powerbelt bullets for deer. I'll be putting a scope on it and really looking forward to start shooting it this spring. Also I'm looking forward to reading this forum and picking up some tips from you "seasoned" shooters. I've been hunting with a Remington 11-87 scoped rifled barrel in 12 gaugeand have taken deer out to 135 yds with regular foster slugs. I'm not saying I'm looking for more distance with a black powder rifle although I understand this combination can put me out to 150 yds. Just trying to have a little more fun....
Old 12-11-2006, 01:47 PM

Default RE: new black powder hunter

If you are stuck on using power belts, go with at least the 295 grain ones. The lighter ones have some nasty tendancies in some guns.

I would recommend Hornady XTP, Shockwave or Gold Dot sabot loads myself. There are some other good ones out there too.

Do some searches in this forum and I think you will learn allot.

Hank
Old 12-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to one of the most addictive sports I have ever gotten into... Also welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find the challenge that a black powder rifle gives you will be a real thrill. And yes, with a scope and practice a muzzleloader can shoot some impressive distances.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ahankster

Do some searches in this forum and I think you will learn allot.

Hank
I could sure use some help with searches at hunting.net. I either get nothing or advertisements. I must be doing something wrong. Been going to the search tab at the top of the Hunting.net screens and clicking SEARCH. I enter the parameters like I would at google and never get referenced to threads in the forum. What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

when you search be very general in what you want. for instance don't search for a .45 caliber Hawkins rifle.. search for the word Hawkins. Granted it takes a little work to find the information sometimes but it is in there... At least that's been my experience.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be interested in knowing what you mean by "nasty tendancies". Would the 245 gr not give me good grouping? Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

when you search be very general in what you want. for instance don't search for a .45 caliber Hawkins rifle.. search for the word Hawkins. Granted it takes a little work to find the information sometimes but it is in there... At least that's been my experience.
Thanks, cayugad, but I just can't figure it out. I put in "apex" and it gave me nuthing, even the threads I recently started withtheword right in the title.I'm just having no luck with it.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 PM

I hate having to repeat myself so often on powerbelts but i use the 245 grain powerbelts in my x-150 with 120 grains pyrodex and have dropped deerfrom far as 148 yards and those bullets dropped them. I dont do shoulder shots, i prefer double lung shots and never lost a deer. I think what he ment by nasty was that when u start adding 150+ grains powder, the 245's will tend to open up your groups. You should do great with 100 grains powder and the 245. you'll just have to buy your powder/bullets and give it a go and see how they group. Use loose powder so you can adjust little by little.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Thanks, cayugad, but I just can't figure it out. I put in "apex" and it gave me nuthing, even the threads I recently started withtheword right in the title.I'm just having no luck with it.
I just ran "apex" and got over 6 pages of hits

Search term .. apex
search forum.. black powder
time frame within .. set it to 1 year

hit enter.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

sisfire - I agree with frontier gander. I think people are pushing some of these powderbelts too hard, and take dead on bone shots. Then they get a splatter sometimes from the powder belt and can not understand why the deer did not drop. I like to aim off the elbow of the front leg and tuck a projectile right behind the bone. Then theprojectile will enter, usually blow out the heart and lungs, maybe pass through, but the deer is walking dead.

I've yet to kill a deer with a powerbelt. They never seem to be around when I am loaded up with that in the rifle. I have done a lot of penetration tests with them. I find them very accuate in the right rifle, and the expansion seems as good or better then some of the other bullets I have tested. I shoot them with 90 grains of Goex 2f.

Quick Reply: new black powder hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.