Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new black powder hunter

Old 12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new black powder hunter

Cayugad, what would I do without you? was leaving the time frame off. You'd think it would default one automatically. Anyway thanks .
Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

not a problem... glad I could help
Old 12-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

sisfire - I agree with frontier gander. I think people are pushing some of these powderbelts too hard, and take dead on bone shots. Then they get a splatter sometimes from the powder belt and can not understand why the deer did not drop. I like to aim off the elbow of the front leg and tuck a projectile right behind the bone. Then theprojectile will enter, usually blow out the heart and lungs, maybe pass through, but the deer is walking dead.

I've yet to kill a deer with a powerbelt. They never seem to be around when I am loaded up with that in the rifle. I have done a lot of penetration tests with them. I find them very accuate in the right rifle, and the expansion seems as good or better then some of the other bullets I have tested. I shoot them with 90 grains of Goex 2f.

Thanks to you and Frontier Gander for the information. I'm a heart/lung shotguy too. I figure I got all year to come up with a powder-bullet combination that will suit me well. I told my wife I almost bought this gun from my buddy while I was down at his place for the deer season. She said she'd get for me for a Christmas present so I'm picking it up tomorrow night, then it will get wrapped and have to set under the tree. I've already picked up a few odds and ends so I'm really looking forward to getting started. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Thanks to you and Frontier Gander for the information. I'm a heart/lung shotguy too.
me three. Am I lying,or do deer which are shot double lung just bleed out better, rendering a better quality of meat. I've shot two in the neck, and both just seemed not to bleed thoroughly and were very dark fleshed, not of exceptional quality. Actually they reminded me on one I accidently hit with a vehicle in terms of meat quality.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:44 PM

Guys,
I go for the double lung as well. Also agree that the meat is better too. The last doe I shot, sunday evening, was a pretty far distance and I did not get quite the drop I was expecting. The Shockwave hit just under the spine, between the back of the lungs and liver. Dropped like a rock, but little bleeding.

I was aggrivated for two reasons. First I didn't hit exactly where I intended (although the outcome was good) and second, even thought the impact hit the ribs just below the spine, it broke her back and boogered up the backstraps and completely destroyed the tenderloins!!

Despite hitting a rib on the way in, the bottom of the spine and a rib on the way out, the wound channel was excellent and the bullet performance was superb. Looked like a 30-30 wound. No metal fragments in the meat, complete pass through, exactly likea bullet should. No PB would have done that.

Anyway, it is no secret that I am not a PB fan. I started using them when I began M/L hunting 4 years ago. I think the bullets over 295 grains are ok and even the 295s are too, but when loaded sensibly. Every gun is different, but I honestly think that 100 grains of pyrodex is probably getting to, or exceeding, the capabilities of the soft, squishy lead PBs with the cavernous hollowpoint. If you want a maxiball, get a maxiball. If you are shooting a modern inline, get a modern bullet.

Hank