Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Apex ring base?

Old 12-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Apex ring base?

Got a SS Apex coming and this scope http://www.opticsale.com/bushnell-banner-3-9x40-713946-bdc-riflescopes.html(Bushnell Banner 3X9X40 w/ BDC). Where do I find the ring base? Didn't look like Cabela's carried one. Are there any special considerations for a 40 mm scope over a 32 for the ring base? Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Apex ring base?

I think the Apex takes the same base as CVA-Traditions. Round barrel
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roger46982

I think the Apex takes the same base as CVA-Traditions. Round barrel
I'd bet my local Walmart would have one. I'll try to sneak away and see today.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Spike

I put the same scope on my Apex. Used a one piece base that I got at Bass Pro. Can't remember the manufacturer though. You'll have to watch the height of the rings though or the bell of the scope wont clear your rear sight.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great info, thanks. How do you like your scope on the APEX? Is it the right height for cheeking the stock comfortably? Have you used the BDC feature at range and hunting? I have some bushnell BDC's from the 70's on my hpr's they have wheels just for the cartridge and bullet weight, but since they were used when I got them, I don't know what wheels come with a new one. Ideally, I just want the wheel to count clicks, that way I can use it with a variety of loads. What should I expect?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pglasgow,
One thing you need to check on the Apex is the hight of the rings. Depending on the bases you may need to go with extra high rings so you can pull the hammer back. I have looked around for a hammer spur but have not found one that fits so I went with the extra high weavers on 418 bases to make it easier to get a thumb on the hammer. I could have used a shorter ring but did not feel safe with only part of my thumb on the hammer.

As for ring bases:

Here is a link for a steel base. http://www.durasight.com/all_steel/bases.html

Also here is a page from midway that may help. http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=10&Categoryid=12218&categorys tring=657***8705***11738***

I may go back and get the grand slam bases later and use the Burris signature rings. I really like the signature rings I have on my Win 70 and am thinking I may swap out the rings I have on my other guns as I get funds to do so.

Good luck with your new toy and keep us posted.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave. Hey how does she feel when sighting the scope?

By the way, If Wimuzzleman blames me for buying a rifle, and sabotloader blames cayugad, I'm gonna have to blame you for my Apex purchase. I really like her and I appreciate your previous comments. I feel confident it will be a goodrifle.

My scope is actually on backorder so I'm not sure just when I'll be getting her scoped. I appreciate the base advice. thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The scope sits a bit high but not uncomfortable, just a bit higher than the other guns I have with scopes. It doesn't take long to get use to the position. If I could find a hammer spur that sticks out like my other son's Optima I think I could go back to a lower ring. Of course the size of the eyebell will be the ultimate determining factor there for you.

As for blame, well I guess if you have too. But do we really need to blame someone or something for a new gun that we really need (and you know we need all these guns we have, right?). This is a hobby and guns are the tools, just like my reloading setup, and there's always a need to upgrade our tooling, right? And muzzleloading is the ultimate expression of reloading so just say it's a new tool you needed for your hobby. Or you could say it's for her and that you want her to join in with your hobby. That worked on my wife, till I got the seventh new tool for my hobby, now I'm on rations for a while. I still haven't got her to go to the range and try out her new gun, oh well, I guess I'll have to keep shooting it so it doesn't feel neglected. Life is rough.