Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breach Plug Questions?

Old 12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Spike

Default Breach Plug Questions?

I have a CVA Optima .45 that I shoot for deer season. I was cleaning it today(season is over for me) and after cleaning did not put the plug back in.......Does anybody else store your muzzleloader without the plug installed?
This is only my second season with it.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Breach Plug Questions?

jminon

I believe I have read several people store (extended)their ML's without the BP installed. I am not one of them - I also think several people store their ML's muzzle down and again I am not one of them.

Even though I do not practice these thoughts - I can certainly see some advantages....
Old 12-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

There are lots of people that store their muzzleloader inline rifles with the "guts" basically removed. For the hammer/striker inlines, I store them for any extended period of time with out the hammer striker in place, the spring is there for not under any kind of tension, and the breech plug removed. Then its a matter of swabbing the dust out the barrel before shooting again, and putting everything back into place.

A word of caution, get a zip lock food bag, put any and all parts in that bag all wiped down and oiled, and then using some tape on the bag to hold string, tie that to the trigger guard of the rifle. That way all that stuff is together in one place, and you know what rifle it belongs to.

Sabotloader does not do that because he has too many rifles and might have troubles figuring out what part goes where with who... if he did this to his massive growing collection of rifles. He just can't stop getting new rifles...
Old 12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I store mine without the plug. That keeps the bore oil from seeping in. I put the ML muzzle-down for a few days with the breechplug barely started- then turnthe ML over & unscrew/remove the clean, dry plug.
My breechplug then goes in a small sandwich baggie - then I push the baggie thru the muzzle-end of the ML's attached ramrod for storing purposes. It dangles from the ramrod end in open view.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

With my inline, I take the nipple out of the breech plug and remove the breach plug and make sure everything is cleandry before i store them in dry cool place in a ziploc baggie.