Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Old 12-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Unbelievable...
http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/trophyden.html
Old 12-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

are you going elephant hunting with your encore now? unfortunatly in my neck of the woods I live on a dial up, so videos or anything like that (even large photos) are out of the question unless I have nothing to do for a hour or so..
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe I'd taken that shot if the guy in the green shirt didn't have a weapon .
Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 PM

awwwwww heck, i got a rabbit last week that was a tad bit bigger than that thing!!! LOL. Cool video, shows shot placement is the king.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM

I would have to guess that was one those special steel core powerbelts that cost $5 each.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doegirl75

PowerBelt's - they do have a "dangerous" game bullet that is different than the one that you and I might use here in our hunting applications. It is a 530 grain steel tip bullet - built for penetration... not expansion.

http://www.powerbeltbullets.com/copper.html

The bullet is shown on the right. I would think that was what was being used.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Must be fun to gut an elephant. How do they taste andhow big are the backstraps?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow that's incredible. That's funny johnny, the whole gutpile thing. I'd imagine you'd have to get right up inside that sucker to get them big nasty guts out. haha. funny.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM

Thats really scarey, what a great reason to avoid purchasing those Power Belt bullets. That is just the perfect video for the anti-hunting groups to get ahold of, it really takes skill to hit an elephant. The poor elephant doesn't even have the option of cover for escape, seems like poor taste for abullet promo. I would think the ballistic gels would have been a better way to show penetration.At the end of the video I believe that I can even hear the elephant taking a dying breath.[:@] Might as well go to the circus and see if they would let the guy shoot any of their ailing elephants, I am sure if the price is right it could be arranged. I can just imagine the time frame before they decided to shoot him. Probably sat around enjoying a big spread of Champagne and dinner. Get in the Land Rover for the trip over to where the elephant is feeding. Have your porters carry your gun over to the area where the elephant is.Then the portersloaded the gun for the guy and then handed it to him. He even has a back up guy in case he just wounded it! What a brave man with a fat wallet. Sure isn't the type of hunting my Father taught me. For this same reason I will not purchase the American Pioneer Shockeys Gold. I just don't see how they think having him pose with his dead Lion, is great advertising. Let's have Jim pose next to endangered animals that are only allowed to be killed because the price was right. Once again money seems more importantthan the poor Lions life. Those ads to me are just what the anti - hunting groups eat up as far as I am concerned. That was the main reason I quit hunting years ago. The semi automatics just didn't seem fair to the quarry, miss with the first shot, no problem empty the clip. I hear this happen all the time in the woods, I always wonder how many of those spraying tecniques have connected with the target. But because the shot was not placed the shooter has no idea where to check for possible blood. I am sure that there are quite a few dead deer lying in the woods going to waste because of this technique. That is the reason I chose muzzleloading, I like the idea of one shot, one kill involved with this type of hunting. That is what makes Muzzleloading and bowhunting appealing at least to myself. You get one chance to make the shot or your opportunity is gone.

Just my opinion, but there sure are more than a few very anti hunting groups around these days, why give them the ammunition that they are looking for.
These are just my personal views and I will understand if I am barred from the group, but the old saying "Shooting fish in a barrel" comes to my mind.

Mike
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uckayak2_mn

Thats really scarey, what a great reason to avoid purchasing those Power Belt bullets. That is just the perfect video for the anti-hunting groups to get ahold of, it really takes skill to hit an elephant. The poor elephant doesn't even have the option of cover for escape, seems like poor taste for abullet promo. I would think the ballistic gels would have been a better way to show penetration.At the end of the video I believe that I can even hear the elephant taking a dying breath.[:@] Might as well go to the circus and see if they would let the guy shoot any of their ailing elephants, I am sure if the price is right it could be arranged. I can just imagine the time frame before they decided to shoot him. Probably sat around enjoying a big spread of Champagne and dinner. Get in the Land Rover for the trip over to where the elephant is feeding. Have your porters carry your gun over to the area where the elephant is.Then the portersloaded the gun for the guy and then handed it to him. He even has a back up guy in case he just wounded it! What a brave man with a fat wallet. Sure isn't the type of hunting my Father taught me. For this same reason I will not purchase the American Pioneer Shockeys Gold. I just don't see how they think having him pose with his dead Lion, is great advertising. Let's have Jim pose next to endangered animals that are only allowed to be killed because the price was right. Once again money seems more importantthan the poor Lions life. Those ads to me are just what the anti - hunting groups eat up as far as I am concerned. That was the main reason I quit hunting years ago. The semi automatics just didn't seem fair to the quarry, miss with the first shot, no problem empty the clip. I hear this happen all the time in the woods, I always wonder how many of those spraying tecniques have connected with the target. But because the shot was not placed the shooter has no idea where to check for possible blood. I am sure that there are quite a few dead deer lying in the woods going to waste because of this technique. That is the reason I chose muzzleloading, I like the idea of one shot, one kill involved with this type of hunting. That is what makes Muzzleloading and bowhunting appealing at least to myself. You get one chance to make the shot or your opportunity is gone.

Just my opinion, but there sure are more than a few very anti hunting groups around these days, why give them the ammunition that they are looking for.
These are just my personal views and I will understand if I am barred from the group, but the old saying "Shooting fish in a barrel" comes to my mind.

Mike
You couldn't be anymore wrong! You have no idea what you're talking about so there is no point in trying to correct you.

Tom

Quick Reply: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.