Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

If you dont like seeing animals get shot, dont watch next time.
F.G.

That pretty much sums it up.But it may not occur to you that many hunters, who love hunting, don't take any pleasure from the dying moments of the game they kill. I happen to be one of them. It doesn't keep me fromhunting, or taking game, its just Iam aware that the life of the animal is lost and I respect that. When I kill wildlife, especially fish, the larger and _older_ it is, the greater the feeling of the loss of life. Which is why i generally release large fish and keep smaller ones, and probably also why I thin small trees to give the bigger older ones room to grow bigger and older, when I cut wood. Not saying its right, but there are people who may harvest4 whitetails a year who woulddecline the _free_ opportunity to kill the dominant bull of continually declining elephant herd. I know I would declineand it seems uckayak would also.

My niece, probably about your age, hasharvested6 elk and 4 deer so far. She still cries when she takes one. Then wipes off the tears and commences gutting it. She can, by the way,cook some mighty fine buck steaks also. So there are some hunters, (who knows how many there are of them), who love and support hunting and gun ownership, andwho don't take pleasure from seeing their prey die. In much the same way, there are soldiers who take no pleasure in seeing the life leave their enemy.Whether soldier or hunter, I happen to think they are the majority, though I could well be wrong about that. In any case, they are a necessary part of the reasons why you are able to hunt and own firearms. Its one thing to oppose PETA, it wholly another alienate fellow hunters whose traditions in hunting differ from yours.
Taking pleasure from watching an animal die isn't required. However if you're crying or effected by the killing of an animal to the point where you need to write such a bone headed post like the one by whatever his name is, then that person needs another hobby.

At the very leastkeep stupidity to a minimum by not opening thier mouths about things they know very little about.

Tom
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Taking pleasure from watching an animal die isn't required. However if you're crying or effected by the killing of an animal to the point where you need to write such a bone headed post like the one by whatever his name is, then that person needs another hobby.

At the very leastkeep stupidity to a minimum by not opening thier mouths about things they know very little about.

Tom
Tom,

I think its good that uckayak hunts. I'm glad he does in fact. I think its possible confuse his comments with anti-hunting, which I think may be a misrepresentation of his true sentiments. From what I can tell, he is a hunter and doesn't have a problem with killing game.

As far as fueling anti-hunting sentiment, I tend to agree that arguments that wegive as to the need for perpetuation of hunting traditions seem to conflict with portraits of kills of declining species and whichuse for the hunter was solely a trophy. I'm notgoing to discuss what is right and wrong ethicsor motivations for hunting, but I will say this, the arguments most often given in support of hunting are not best exemplified by the images uckayak was voicing objections to.

I am of the opinion, that wildlife in africa is being managed as a resource, but given the declining numbers of specific species, I have my doubts as to whether wildlife is being managed in a way which will ensure the perpetuation of some species in the wild state. If hunters funds help to protect these species, that is a good thing, and even whilethe purchasing of trophy animalsmay beprimarily motivated by the desire of such hunterstoensure the perpetuation ofthese decliningspecies, I would also say that such a representation of the motivation for harvesting these trophies is a hard sell to those who oppose hunting.

Our hunting and gun ownership rightsare under attack. The arguments they use against us,make examples ofactions hunters take which seem to conflict with the very arguments we use tojustify hunting. Things like hunting fenced animals, hunting over feeders, hunting declining populations, and so on. It is not wise to give them fuel by making public images which are not a reflection, in general, of the typicalAmerican hunter and his hunting experience.