Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

I was under the impression from all my reading and television programs on elephants, that they are one of the most intelligent, cautious, and dangerous land animals a person can hunt. Also that if given a chance will be more then glad to stomp or kill a human with little to no regard. As for the guide, I would sure hope that because of their knowledge he would know where the herd was and a shootable bull. After all, that's his job as a guide. To locate and get me a good shot.

I would think this person's ability to hunt them with a muzzleloader, his trust in the bullet choice for the task at hand (which is indeed something to consider), his selection of a powder charge and then his ability to place a shot with such precision says a lot for the person and his abilities.It also does a lot to convince someone that the selected bullet whichhis company produces is a good choice for dangerous game.Isn't this the reason for advertisement?

I do not blame him for the second shot. As for moans, while I did not hear that (I have a slow dial up), many animals who are basically dead, make similar sounds. Shoot a bear sometime and listen to their death moan. I do want to say that I respect your right to your opinion uckayak2_mnand would not try to belittle it. I simply do not agree. As for the animal rights people they need very little incident of any kind to start their protests.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 PM

Well put, Cayugad. From what I understand, the animals that are shot are either rogue bulls who no longer serve any purpose to the herd, and or individual animals trampling and destroying crops. Another words, they're hunting an individual or small group of animals, not just indisciminately shooting at any pachyderm that saunters by. And, yes, they'll stomp you beyond recognition if they're so inclined that day. I betcha there was a small band of native trackers armed with side by side rifles standing behind that camera as well.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doegirl75

No way do I want to get into the animal debate - but i would suggest to you shooting an elephant with a black powder gun and projectile is not really news - it was done that way long before we developed modern hunting centerfire guns.

I have not watched the video does he say what his load was? What gun it was?

If it were a150 grainload and 50 cal projectile - that might be news worthy... not sure I would have done it....

Old 12-06-2006, 07:11 PM

I will e-mail you a PETA application. You will be right at home.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I will e-mail you a PETA application. You will be right at home.
In uckayak's defense, I would like to make a few comments. Hunting it turns out, means alot of different things to alot of different folks. For some its about collecting trophies, for others it is harvesting food, for some its the prior two, and I am sure that there are many, many, other reasons, some sensible, others morbid and disgusting.

Being the grandson of a full blown cherokee indian and the son of a Scot I can tell you that traditions I was taught by both grandfather and father were remarkably similar. I love hunting and harvesting game, , , but I had no interest in watching the video several months ago when I first discovered it and to this day I have no interest in watchingit nor can I personally relate to what compels one to hunt elephants, or even lions for that matter. I simply understand that they are compelled by their own personalities to do so. The use of words like Rogue or maneater are just window dressing for their own compulsions, for I am quite certain that the good folks in Africa don't actually need "great white hunters" to rescue them from these beasts.

Regarding hunting and those who seek to sever us from our hunting and gun ownership rights. I think it is imperative that we show that we are harvesting a renewable resource that we are being good stewards of the resource. A good steward earns an usury (which is the harvest of a stable, healthy, population). Also, it helps to avoid unnecesarily offending them, like covering a carcass during transportation. I'm sure alotof you won'tagree but that's fine. Its just my two cents.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Doegirl75

No way do I want to get into the animal debate - but i would suggest to you shooting an elephant with a black powder gun and projectile is not really news - it was done that way long before we developed modern hunting centerfire guns.

I have not watched the video does he say what his load was? What gun it was?

If it were a150 grainload and 50 cal projectile - that might be news worthy... not sure I would have done it....

Of course it's not. They're were insane people slinging 1200 grain balls at elephants 150years ago. But what got me is that the animal just shook it's head for a second and then tipped over. The shooter was a using a side by side rifle and very good guess is that the projectile was, perhaps, a powerbelt
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: uckayak2_mn

Thats really scarey, what a great reason to avoid purchasing those Power Belt bullets. That is just the perfect video for the anti-hunting groups to get ahold of, it really takes skill to hit an elephant. The poor elephant doesn't even have the option of cover for escape, seems like poor taste for abullet promo. I would think the ballistic gels would have been a better way to show penetration.At the end of the video I believe that I can even hear the elephant taking a dying breath.[:@] Might as well go to the circus and see if they would let the guy shoot any of their ailing elephants, I am sure if the price is right it could be arranged. I can just imagine the time frame before they decided to shoot him. Probably sat around enjoying a big spread of Champagne and dinner. Get in the Land Rover for the trip over to where the elephant is feeding. Have your porters carry your gun over to the area where the elephant is.Then the portersloaded the gun for the guy and then handed it to him. He even has a back up guy in case he just wounded it! What a brave man with a fat wallet. Sure isn't the type of hunting my Father taught me. For this same reason I will not purchase the American Pioneer Shockeys Gold. I just don't see how they think having him pose with his dead Lion, is great advertising. Let's have Jim pose next to endangered animals that are only allowed to be killed because the price was right. Once again money seems more importantthan the poor Lions life. Those ads to me are just what the anti - hunting groups eat up as far as I am concerned. That was the main reason I quit hunting years ago. The semi automatics just didn't seem fair to the quarry, miss with the first shot, no problem empty the clip. I hear this happen all the time in the woods, I always wonder how many of those spraying tecniques have connected with the target. But because the shot was not placed the shooter has no idea where to check for possible blood. I am sure that there are quite a few dead deer lying in the woods going to waste because of this technique. That is the reason I chose muzzleloading, I like the idea of one shot, one kill involved with this type of hunting. That is what makes Muzzleloading and bowhunting appealing at least to myself. You get one chance to make the shot or your opportunity is gone.

Just my opinion, but there sure are more than a few very anti hunting groups around these days, why give them the ammunition that they are looking for.
These are just my personal views and I will understand if I am barred from the group, but the old saying "Shooting fish in a barrel" comes to my mind.

Mike
You have no idea as to what you are talking about, you obviously do not know much about hunting, or you wouldn't make such a bonehead statement.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:51 PM

BTW, thanks for the vid, Doegirl.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:02 PM

What a bunny hugger. If you think that was a slow kill, you should have seen the show i watched.. A bow hunter going after an elephant. And most animals will give that wheezing death moan. And to let everyone know. All elephant hunts are carefully selected to take out the bulls that are either old or trouble makers in the heard. After the kill, all meat is taken to the local tribe and they have a feast. If you dont like seeing animals get shot, dont watch next time. That elephant was dead on his feet as soon as that bullet went into its head.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

If you dont like seeing animals get shot, dont watch next time.
F.G.

That pretty much sums it up.But it may not occur to you that many hunters, who love hunting, don't take any pleasure from the dying moments of the game they kill. I happen to be one of them. It doesn't keep me fromhunting, or taking game, its just Iam aware that the life of the animal is lost and I respect that. When I kill wildlife, especially fish, the larger and _older_ it is, the greater the feeling of the loss of life. Which is why i generally release large fish and keep smaller ones, and probably also why I thin small trees to give the bigger older ones room to grow bigger and older, when I cut wood. Not saying its right, but there are people who may harvest4 whitetails a year who woulddecline the _free_ opportunity to kill the dominant bull of continually declining elephant herd. I know I would declineand it seems uckayak would also.

My niece, probably about your age, hasharvested6 elk and 4 deer so far. She still cries when she takes one. Then wipes off the tears and commences gutting it. She can, by the way,cook some mighty fine buck steaks also. So there are some hunters, (who knows how many there are of them), who love and support hunting and gun ownership, andwho don't take pleasure from seeing their prey die. In much the same way, there are soldiers who take no pleasure in seeing the life leave their enemy.Whether soldier or hunter, I happen to think they are the majority, though I could well be wrong about that. In any case, they are a necessary part of the reasons why you are able to hunt and own firearms. Its one thing to oppose PETA, it wholly another alienate fellow hunters whose traditions in hunting differ from yours.

Quick Reply: Boom-flop on an Elephant...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.