Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore 1 in 48 barrel

Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM
bigcountry

Default Encore 1 in 48 barrel

I am thinking about ordering a 1 in 48" twist 26" 50 cal barrel for my encore for CO elk hunting. I know I never got conicals to do that great in my wolverine or elite. They do great in my hawken which is 1 in 48". Anybody else try this?

I sold my 1 in 28" encore barrel, wish I kept it for testing with conicals. My brother has it now.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Encore 1 in 48 barrel

sounds like you need a White Super 91 II but that's just a conical shooters dream rifle.

As for the 1-48 twist, I have actually had good luck with that twist and conicals although I am not sure ... maybe a 1-32 twist would be better. Its kind of an interesting question with the rifle you have and want to outfit. I guess I would look into what actually makes a barrel shoot conicals better then other barrels...
Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: cayugad

sounds like you need a White Super 91 II but that's just a conical shooters dream rifle.

As for the 1-48 twist, I have actually had good luck with that twist and conicals although I am not sure ... maybe a 1-32 twist would be better. Its kind of an interesting question with the rifle you have and want to outfit. I guess I would look into what actually makes a barrel shoot conicals better then other barrels...
I thought that was the reason they sold this 1 in 48 for heavier conical shooters. I know they shoot great in my 1 in 48 hawkins.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have several 1-48 twist side lock rifles and they will all do a decent job with conicals but they only shoot about 3 inchs at 100yd my system One with a 138 twist will halve that. Lee
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigcountry

To add more confusion to the mix - White Ultra mags - known to be outstanding conical shooters - One of Doc White's favorites is a 600 grain chunk of lead - are 1-24 twists - so go figure...

mike
Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
bigcountry

Decisions, decisions. Not sure which to buy.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

One in 48 is a comprimise twist that is supposed to be able to shoot sabots and patched round ball. I'm not sure they even considered conical bullets when they decided on 1 in 48.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith...I bought my 1-48 Hawken in 1973...I believe that was before sabots were in common use, and there wasn't nearly as wide a selection of conicals back then, either...I believe that the 1-48 twist in the T/C Hawken was made as a compromise to perform well with either round balls or conicals, specifically the T/C Maxiball...
Old 12-07-2006, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pygmy

Keith...I bought my 1-48 Hawken in 1973...I believe that was before sabots were in common use, and there wasn't nearly as wide a selection of conicals back then, either...I believe that the 1-48 twist in the T/C Hawken was made as a compromise to perform well with either round balls or conicals, specifically the T/C Maxiball...
I sort of forgot how long the 1-48 has been around. You are correct and the stabilization of conicals and most sabot bullet loads require faster twist than patched round balls (which can't take the fast twist without the patches tearing). Some sabot rifles however seem to not like conicals. Point in fact Omega and some Encore rifles (possibly due to the QLA).
Old 12-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keith...Yeah, I've seen that with Encores...Two of my buddies have Encores and we did a Colorado elk hunt a couple of years ago..Sabots aren't allowed in CO during the muzz season, or at least they weren't at that time...They both had problems finding heavy conicals that would shoot well through thier Encores...

I've used mostly PRBs in my old .50 Hawken for deer, butI tried the Noexuses 460 conical and it worked great..Very accurate and it performed well on the elk I took with it...

Quick Reply: Encore 1 in 48 barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.