Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore 1 in 48 barrel

Old 12-12-2006, 10:19 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Encore 1 in 48 barrel

well, that was just useless. I called TC and asked them thier opinion on the subject. I asked them why for a longer heavier bullet would I want the 1 in 48", which in the centerfire world its the opposite. Well, after being transfered like 4 times, I got some goober in the shop. He said in his elmer fudd voice, its because with conicals, they don't have to be as accurate as sabots because you will only shooting them like 50 yards, and thats the reason you want a 1 in 48". What???? So you want to purposely put a slow spin on to destablize a bullet cause you are not going to shoot far????He said, then, "I don't know". Holy cow, they got some stupid people over at TC these days.

I can't believe 10 min on the phone, and nobody could answer my question with any sort of intelligence. So I called knight, to fish around, and got the answer. Told me its true, 1 in 28" would stabilize a longer bullet better, but has a tendency to distort a lead conical depending on the rifling. But I should be able to find an accurate load with a low powered load. At least it wasnt' elmer fudd. I asked him as a general muzzleloader question. But he knew what I doing with en encore.