Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum, Stainless brl

Old 12-05-2006, 01:05 AM

Default CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum, Stainless brl

I have hunted deer with a bow for the last 25 years, and learned to hunt rather well. Only now I have picked up a Front loader for the late season. Your sport seems to fit perfectly for my style of hunting. I have now taken two small deer with a smokestick. I am Hooked, and want to get better!

I have run into several problems and questions that I hope someone can help me with.

Is it normal for my point of inpact to differ as much as 12 inches low at 50 yards just becouse the temp dropped from 50 degreesto 20? Is my powder burning that much slower? I am useing 100 grains of paradox pellets and a 245 Gr. powerbelt. Could it be that my barral is not floating like it should over a sinthetic stock? Should I sand it down just like a wood stock?

The way it is now, I cannot move my back sight high enough to bring my bullets up for me to hit the spot. Unless it is 50 degrees outside or higher. If its below freezing, forget it! I am wondering if I bumped somthing becouse this just dont seem possable. Would 777 help bring my bullet up? Should I try 150 grains?

Whats really weird is that when I pull the breach plug and line up my barral by looking through the barral at an object 50 yrds away, my sights will line up about 12 inches over the object. Is my bullet dropping that much at 50 yards. I can see that out of a bow, but not a gun.

Did I say that I am frustrated. I have now!

I have done a lot of reading on your sight and have found that the CVA probably isnt all the gun I thought it was, but it should shoot better than that even with powerbelts. I am thinking that I need to swich bullets but dont even know where to begin. becouse even the powerbelts fit rather snug down my CVA. Maybe thats my problem right there????????

HELP
Thanks,
The Hopper

Old 12-05-2006, 01:26 AM

Default RE: CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum, Stainless brl

I forgot to ask if anyone could reccomend a different sight that will fit on the CVA that has a smaller front sight? As the fiber optic that came with the gun completely covers a 10 inch target at 50 yards. They make bow sight pins that covers no more than an ant at 30 yards. LOL
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:21 PM

Yes u need to sight in for cold weather. There was someone on here that missed an elk because his tc omega was sighted in during warm weather and then shot in cold weather and missed. Plus his stock i guess was flimsy and moved around. I cant remember your name so if u want to correct me if i misunderstood go right ahead. As for you wanting a smaller sight setup thats easy. Email winchester muzzleloading and tell them what you have and that you want the steel sights that come in the winchester x150.
[email protected]

Powerbelts are supposed to fit snug and the only problem i can think about with your gun, is that you are using pellets and not loose powder. All the cva's i own" 6 of them" Ive never had accuracy problems. Do not try 150 grains with the powerbelts, try switching to loose pyrodex RS and resight in with your 100 grain load. The max charge i would use with the 245 powerbelt is 120, and thats mainly because i use that load and its performing great. And to answer your floating stock question, i found on my rifle i had to sand out some of the paint on the side of the stock, when they dip it, all that stuff builds up and prevents the barrel from floating, run a sheet of paper down between the stock and barrel and find where your tight spots are and sand them down. I had to use a file to get down the thick areas. Maybe 45 minutes of slow careful work and its perfect. Make sure you dont take any material off where there is supposed to be contact at the "breech" area. Just take your time and slowly work and refit the barrel. But i think its the cold weather and the pellets giving u problems. More likely the cold.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

HoleHopper

Is it normal for my point of inpact to differ as much as 12 inches low at 50 yards just becouse the temp dropped from 50 degreesto 20? Is my powder burning that much slower? I am useing 100 grains of paradox pellets and a 245 Gr. powerbelt. Could it be that my barral is not floating like it should over a sinthetic stock? Should I sand it down just like a wood stock?
Is that drop normal - I would say a definite NO!

100 grains of Pyrodex pellets should really work just fine - actually it should be an excellet powder load.

I am nor much of a powerbelt fan - but my initial reaction would be that 245 grain might be a little light - but that is not going to solve your drop problem.

The stock problem on the other hand could play a lot into your problems. I honestly do not know if the the barrel on a Kodiac is floated or not, but since it is a CVA I would be willing to bet it is supposed to be. My Firebolt really had a tremendous stock problem - the forearm was so flexible just leaning it on a branch would change POI. You should be able to take some like a dollar bill put it under the barrel and slide it all the way down to the recoil lug in the stock. If you can not your stock has probably warped a bit and you may have to take some sand paper to it.

If the drop problem persists - them you are back to the sights. My Firebolt came with some really cheap plastic fiber optic sights, a really high front blade as I remember - I think the first time out I broke the front sight. Looking @ the CVA site today they say they have installed metal sights on the Kodiac so they are probably better than my Firebolt's. I did remove them and install some TC sights both front and rear.

The Kodiac is a good gun so do not get to upset at it just work through the problem - might even give CVA a phone call they are really receptive to helping.

I am thinking that I need to swich bullets but dont even know where to begin. becouse even the powerbelts fit rather snug down my CVA. Maybe thats my problem right there????????
While I am not a real fan of PB bullets - I really do not think they are your problem. I am a bit concerned about the fact that you are saying they are rather snug going down - If your barrel is clean, normally PB's slide right down with a minimal pressure. The bullet is not designed to contact the riflings of the barrel of the barrel until firing. The only contact with the barrel is the plastic skirt at the bottom of the bullet.

What caliber of Kodiac are you shooting? and forgive me for asking are you sure you have the right size Powerbelt? - I know that is a dumb question but it sometimes helps to check.

I have done a lot of reading on your sight and have found that the CVA probably isnt all the gun I thought it was, but it should shoot better than that even with powerbelts.
There are lot of CVA nay-sayers in this world but that does not mean that they are all that bad. They are and will continue to be a capableML.

mike