Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf Magnum

Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Default CVA Wolf Magnum

Hi all, new to your forums. Recent purchaser of a CVA Wold Magnum 209 50cal.I saw a forum where someone asked about going 100+yds with a CVA...someone else asked for a thread on this gun so here's some info.

Bought with a 2.5-7x32 cheapee scope at Cabelas, but it's a start. They bored it at 25 (not happy they didn't give me at least 50). Was pleased to see it was 4" low and centered at 50. Using 250gr sabots and 130gr Pyrodex/Triple 7 pellets. 30's in Pyrodex are hard to find and I was told you can mix the two. At any rate, with some tuning was holding a nice 2-3" group at 100. This was off a forked rest however, but, nonetheless the accuracy was there. The 130gr load was recommended to me so that's why I am using it. Have it sighted 2" high at 100 and was in a 3" circle at 200 off the bench.

So the gun is quite capable and I am very pleased with it. Don't ask me about ballistics, I am new to all this and have not had a chance to do my homework yet. I have been told that with this load 80yds is where the slug starts to fall off.

So with a good rest and plenty of time, you can get CVA's rifle to work for you at 100+. Of course all bets are off shooting off hand...a sniper I ain't!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:48 PM

Default RE: CVA Wolf Magnum

Good info and u are 100% correct about shooting off a bag VS off hand, theres a huge difference. #1 your heart is probably pounding in your chest, you may not have anything to rest your rifle off of or the wind may be blowing. Everyone needs to practice off hand and see what they can do. This year i put a bi-pod on my .50 and boy what a waste of $40! I never got to use it thanks to the deer seeing me first. Out of all the years hunting i only got to rest my gun off a rock and shoot an elk.That was a .270 that year.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are all set-up with a nice load. Now hopefully that scope will hold up for you.

What scope is it?

Also.... did Hodgdon say it was fine to mix the two brands of pellets? I once had a jug of 777 that was roughly half-filled with Pyrodex. Hodgdon wasn't concerned about it when I called. They arranged for a pickup at my house, but never told me to halt furtherignition of it. The gun shot fine with the mix. It was the sulfur smell that got me to examine the grain coloring differences.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own one and have talked to a lot of other guys that own them.A lot of guys seem to agree this gun shoots better with lower powder loads.When they shot it through a chronograph there was no increase in speed past 120 grains of powder and the best groups they were getting seemed to fall in the 80/90 grain range.Im only shooting 75 grains of 777 through mine and it groups better then I could ever get my Knight to group with this load.Im not saying you have the wrong load for your gun since they all shoot a little different but if you get a chance and like to mess with them try some lower powder loads, you might be suprised, Im getting three shot groups you can cover up with your thumb out to around 80 yards and Im far from being a good shot
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM

The scope is a Cabela's lable, Pine Ridge.It came as a kit...blued barrel/camo stock, claw sling, breakopen action, scope and kit (cleaning stuff, sabots, tools, etc)for $259. So if it craps out, I'll mount a Redfield on it.

Yes, I plan on playing with the loads on the range after the end of the extended season here in PA.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:29 PM

To answer the guys question about mixing Pyrodex and Triple 7...that suggestion came from a trusted source.But however much I trust him, I still value my melon in one peice so I thought I'd double check. Did so through my cousin who's a gunsmith and avid black powder guy. He confirmed it for me. I haven't however checked w/ the vendor and do plan on doing so. I just want to be sure I am not doing any slow damage to the barrel.

One thing I've read and come to understand is thatthe different brandshave different grain size, so I personallywouldn't tinker with mixing the loose stuff unless I knew what I was doing.I like the pellets and think I will stick with them.

I will confirm that the sulfur odor is almost overtaking with these two pellets mixed. My good friend and trusted source shoots all Pyrodex as of late and I've been with him on the range, haven't smelled it that strong. He mixed before and said he noticed the same thing.

That's got me a little curious. If anyone has any warnings to pass along around mixing Pyrodex and Triple 7 pellets, or any other brand for that matter, please post here.