Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Old 12-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Spike

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

I tried the 270gr Platinum pointed Powerbelts for this years gun season, got one shot out at a nice lil 8-point at about 50 yards. Although the bullet was devestating I beleive I only single-lung shot it and has been the first deer in a long time I had to track (~150-200yrds).

Shooting 85gr 777 out of my Knight Elite, no problems with the bullet turning into a pancake with that combo.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

are you saying to much powder causes them to over mushroom and become weak?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:04 PM

Eagle eyes, you are using the bullet with an optimum load. You got excellent expansion with 85 grains of 777 which is about equal to 100 grains of pyrodex. Had you used much more, I suspect you would have experienced the "exploding bullet" trick that powerbelts are famous for and the reason for this thread. Push them too hard and it doesn't matter if they hit bone or not, they go in and blow to pieces (not every time, but frequently).

Earlier someone said that any hollowpoint would blow to pieces if it hits bone. Well, that is only partially true. Most bullets will fragment to some degree and loose some lead/copper if they hit bone. But, since powerbelts are nothing more than a copper washed lead conical, when they hit bone they tend to shred and/or blow upleaving lead pieces all in the wound channel. My kids use Hornady XTPs and have killed 4 deer and one coyote with it in the past two years. The performance is much better than the power belts and I don't think you could over drive one. Next time you get the chance, cut open a power belt and see how it is made, compared to a well constructed copper jacketed pistol bullet (which is what most sabot bulllets are) the PB is nothing but a very, very soft piece of copper washed lead whereas the better made sabot bullets have a heavy, thick copper jacket.

I used PBs when I first started with M/L four years ago. My experience was similar to the deer that started this thread. The first one, a broadside shot at 50 yards, a 295 grain PB and 100 grains of 777. Deer didn't go more than 30 yards, zero blood trail. When we were cleaning it, there was a hole in about the size of a quarter. Under the hide on the opposite side was 5 or six chunks of lead and lots of little shreds all on the inside. Total blow up on the inside. That might be good insome people's book, but not in mine.The second was the same story. Last year, a fellow I know shot a big doe at 70 yards with a 295 grain PB loaded with 150 grains of pyrodex. He hit it in the shoulder and said he could see the hole when it ran off. About 5 mins later, another fella in his club saw the doe and shot it, putting it down. When they looked at the wound by the PB, the bullet had gone in, hit the shoulder and blew up. Blew out a huge chunk of meat and blew the shoulder up, but did not penetrate into the chest. The deer would have died a long slow painfull death.

Basically, power belts are good if you stay about 295 grains and keep the powder charges lower. The heavier the bullet, I guess you could up the powder charge. All the stories I have heard about poor performance have come from too much poweder charge.

good luck
Hank
Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ahanksterI agree with all said the problem when I tried to use them was my Omega will only shoot them accurate with 140 or 150 gr, I shot a coyote in the chest at about 40yd with 150gr APP FF and a 245 gr it blew him wide open and did not come out the far side. The load chrony at 2150 fps. Lee
Old 12-10-2006, 04:34 PM

I shot some 338 gr. Platinum Powerbelts into a bundle of water soaked phone books recently. They looked almost exactly like your picture. The load was 130 grain of 2F Jim Shockey Gold. Impact velocity was about 1900 fps.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I shot some 338 gr. Platinum Powerbelts into a bundle of water soaked phone books recently. They looked almost exactly like your picture. The load was 130 grain of 2F Jim Shockey Gold. Impact velocity was about 1900 fps.
Sounds like the platinums are a major improvement.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Yeah they do look like they beefed them up at the bottom. I never had problems with the old ones. Im deff. going to try the new ones out and see how they shoot. I cant see how the bullet wouldnt go through a coyote, 5 deer in 2 years total and everyone of them the 245 hollowpoints/295 aerotips went right thought leaving a exit hole a little bigger than a quarter. My doe last year ran maybe 5-8 yards before dropping and there was blood spray against the trees and brush by it. You know you got a good hit when the deer comes sliding down the mountain and a 4" wide blood smear follows it lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ahankster

Eagle eyes, you are using the bullet with an optimum load. You got excellent expansion with 85 grains of 777 which is about equal to 100 grains of pyrodex. Had you used much more, I suspect you would have experienced the "exploding bullet" trick that powerbelts are famous for and the reason for this thread. Push them too hard and it doesn't matter if they hit bone or not, they go in and blow to pieces (not every time, but frequently).

Earlier someone said that any hollowpoint would blow to pieces if it hits bone. Well, that is only partially true. Most bullets will fragment to some degree and loose some lead/copper if they hit bone. But, since powerbelts are nothing more than a copper washed lead conical, when they hit bone they tend to shred and/or blow upleaving lead pieces all in the wound channel. My kids use Hornady XTPs and have killed 4 deer and one coyote with it in the past two years. The performance is much better than the power belts and I don't think you could over drive one. Next time you get the chance, cut open a power belt and see how it is made, compared to a well constructed copper jacketed pistol bullet (which is what most sabot bulllets are) the PB is nothing but a very, very soft piece of copper washed lead whereas the better made sabot bullets have a heavy, thick copper jacket.

I used PBs when I first started with M/L four years ago. My experience was similar to the deer that started this thread. The first one, a broadside shot at 50 yards, a 295 grain PB and 100 grains of 777. Deer didn't go more than 30 yards, zero blood trail. When we were cleaning it, there was a hole in about the size of a quarter. Under the hide on the opposite side was 5 or six chunks of lead and lots of little shreds all on the inside. Total blow up on the inside. That might be good insome people's book, but not in mine.The second was the same story. Last year, a fellow I know shot a big doe at 70 yards with a 295 grain PB loaded with 150 grains of pyrodex. He hit it in the shoulder and said he could see the hole when it ran off. About 5 mins later, another fella in his club saw the doe and shot it, putting it down. When they looked at the wound by the PB, the bullet had gone in, hit the shoulder and blew up. Blew out a huge chunk of meat and blew the shoulder up, but did not penetrate into the chest. The deer would have died a long slow painfull death.

Basically, power belts are good if you stay about 295 grains and keep the powder charges lower. The heavier the bullet, I guess you could up the powder charge. All the stories I have heard about poor performance have come from too much poweder charge.

good luck
Hank
years ago we got idea that 90 gr bullets,sierra hollow point would be ticket for 250-3000 sav..well, that bullet pushed at 3000 ft was a bad choice..

i now use 87 gr speer soft pointed..if you hit deer behind shoulder, that bullet EXPLODES and deer goes down..

no hole out other side..

so, bullets that explode, are great for me,a least,in centerfire rifles..

now on to muzzleloader and PB..this is first year i used them..i was lucky to get a buck and used the 295 hollow point..hawkins .50 cal flintlock,80 grs of 2f geox..

where bullet went in was suze of a knickel or so and came out size of quarter..the shoulder where it went in was all affect even tho i hit 4 inchs up from bottom or right thru heart..

that big buck never moved..it went right down and tried to get up,but could not..

when cleaning deer, heart ,liver, were all destroyed..cavity was all filled with blood..

from what i read, the heavier PB are better if driven at high velocity..

i almost went with the 338 gr one over 295 gr.but 295 shot best out of my 1-48 twist flintlock..

so far, i have no complaints but that picture of the deer here with a wound like that tells ole sproul one thing..

TO FAST AND TOO LIGHT A BULLET WILL MAKE A WOUND LIKE THAT..

i saw 7mm rem mag do that to deer with 125 gr bullet..the hunter i talked to was sick..that 7mm rem mag was pushing that bullet over 3300 ft ..

no good, now he uses a 175 gr bullet and is happy BUT the holes he has in a deer are still awful to look at..

high velocity.light bullet and add in HOLLOW POINT..oh my!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My kids use Hornady XTPs and have killed 4 deer and one coyote with it in the past two years. The performance is much better than the power belts and I don't think you could over drive one.
I used those a couple years ago, we had a old steel freezer door we were using as backstop.In my Knight with a 90 grain 777 charge the bullets actually seemed to be coming apart before they actually hit the door.After every shot there were two holes instead of one in the target, one a little smaller then the other.I thought at first maybe I just got a box of defective bullets but the next two boxes I had did the same thing and I wound up switching to a TC shockwave which seemed to eliminate theproblem.

I used the XTPs in my CVA sidelock for two years before that without any problem though, wonder how much the performance of these different bullets varies according to the gun your shooting
Old 12-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: petasux

My kids use Hornady XTPs and have killed 4 deer and one coyote with it in the past two years. The performance is much better than the power belts and I don't think you could over drive one.
In my Knight with a 90 grain 777 charge the bullets actually seemed to be coming apart before they actually hit the door.After every shot there were two holes instead of one in the target, one a little smaller then the other.
The second hole must have been something blowing back. Maybe even a blast of hot air could punch a hole in the paper. My guess would be this had more to do with the steel refrigerator door than the xtps. After you filled it (the door)full of holes, if the problem was something blowing back, the problem would have ceased.

Quick Reply: @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.