Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

nice muzzle loader for the money

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default nice muzzle loader for the money

this is selling on cabelas for 139.99, and it got 12 reviews with a 4.9 out of 5, it seems to be a really good gun for the money and for my first gun, what do you guys think?

CVA Wolf™ 209 Magnum Rifle - Blue/Black

Overall Customer Rating:

Overall Customer Rating:

4.9 out of 5

Read all reviews Write a review
[/align]Read Reviews(12)|Write a Review
[/align]Have you used this product?

Be the first towrite a review!

[/align][/align]Product Reviews
[/align]
[/align]

[/align][*]Simple and reliable break-open action[*]Light and rugged[*]Durable synthetic stock[*]A great gun for the money!

Additional Info

Buyer's Guide
[/align]The Wolf™ 209 Magnum combines the simplicity and reliability of a break-open action rifle with the proven design of the Optima frame, then adds Illuminator Fiber Optic Sights, a ventilated recoil pad and other features to create a durable, versatile and accurate muzzleloading firearm. This .50 caliber rifle comes with a blued barrel and black composite stock and features the quality and reliability CVA is famous for in a compact model.
Barrel: 24" Blued.
Total length: 39-1/2''.
Weight: 6-3/4 lbs.
Available: .50 Caliber.

[/align]
Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Default RE: nice muzzle loader for the money

Yes its a great little starter for the price. Break open is nice also. Buy some 209 primers, 245,270 or 295 grain powerbelts and some pyrodex RS and you're ready to sight in. If you've read the posts around here you'll notice there are alot of problems with being able to load down a second shot due to crud rings. In the 6 years ive been muzzleloader, i've never had any of those problems others have with different powders. Buy Pyro RS and you'll thank yourself and save yourself a headache. And buy the loose stuff, those pellets are over priced and not worth the money. Every cva i own uses pyrodex rs and all of them shoot great.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Yes the Wolf is a great gun, it's what I use and I am very happy with it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

ABarOfSoap

The "wolf" will probabaly work just fine for a starter rifle - but I think for jst a few bucks more you could get a NEF - I am not a NEF fan but I think it would really be a better gun for more years...

This would in my mind be a better gun than the "wolf" with a lot more possibilities...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=264852

Here is the home site...

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Muzzleloaders%3A+Yukon+Brop% 2DBreech+Action+%28In+Lines%29

This is much more a modern ML easier cleaning + other advantages over the old style bolt actions, although I still really like my bolt actions...

I should also add check your state laws in regards to what ML's you can use and what you can not use....

Good luck in your search....

Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM

To save you some $$ heres one for $127

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_218/products_id/16584
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM

Or better yet i found a .54 cva inline! $135 with black barrel/camo stock. I may just have to pick one up when i have the funds.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_218/products_id/35725
Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heardMANY more positive things about the NEF sidekick for only $30 more. $30 is peanuts when you think of what you spend in a year for hunting, and this may be a gun you use for many seasons. Here is a link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0027233215447a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=sidekick&N=4887&amp ;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1& Ntt=sidekick&noImage=0
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 AM

I posted previously about building or buying a traditional muzzleloader and got lot of great advice. But as someone who's never owned a muzzleloader, I'm starting to think I should begin with a modern one and see if I like itbefore going traditional.

I have investigated the NEF sidekick as well and only heard positive things -accuracy, ease of use, price, etc.-about it, EXCEPT for the telescoping ramrod, which many reviews have claimed you should just chuck it and get a new one right away.

I was also forwarded this straight forward review that doesn't claim this rifle is the end all, but it does say that in terms of features and functionality, its hard to beat in this price range. The web site also gave it an award for being one of the most accurate muzzleloaders period in 2006.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_sidekick.htm

I'm thinking of shelling out the extra $$$ for the stainless steel model. Hear they're easier to clean? Any truth to it? Plus, I have a Cabelas' gift card and coupon, which will help bring the price down to not much more than the blued model.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are nice Chuck - but the telescopic ramrod and little discs to insert the primers turn some prospective buyers off. I won't buy it for those two reasons.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Thanks Triple Se7en (man that's weird to type : )). Good pointers. I'll check them out when I head to the retail outlet. I'm really thinking this is something I need the guys there to show me several different models. Looking for middle of the road models. I've found with my bow and shotguns that that's the way to go if you don't want to end up upgrading in a couple of years. Any middle of the road suggestions? Don't want to hijack this thread so maybe I should start another one. Not sure of the ettiquette?

Quick Reply: nice muzzle loader for the money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.