Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Evolution Premier a good deal?

Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Evolution Premier a good deal?

I saw the Traditions Evolution Premier 50 cal. on sportsmansguide.com for $130. Is this rifle any good or should I just save my money for an Omega? How accurate and easy to clean is it? Is it a break open design? I don't want to buy something and just wish I'd held out.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Evolution Premier a good deal?

MAbowhntr

Traditions does make reasonable rifles, they are Itialian made, the Evolutin Priemere is a bolt action gun.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R68603950

The suggested price for the base gun is $279.00 and run up to $469.00

I would assume the one in SGuide would be this base gun.

For $130 it would be a very good buy - it certainly is not an Omega, but you are going to use the gun for just occasional hunting during the ML season it will perform quite well.

For another $100+ you could get into a base line Omega.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought the Traditions were Spanish rifles.

For another $121, you could own an Omega.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_440/products_id/17877
Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 PM

777, thanks for the link. Where is that gun shop? Do they ship to Mass.? I think I would spend even another $50 and get the stainless model. Do they sell the starter kit models?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sean

I haven't purchased from them YET! I was just introduced to the site around two weeks ago. The fella that forwarded the link is happy with their service. I'm sure a phone call therewill get you all the info you need on your state laws.

I think they have the laminated wood & stainless for around $321. That's theone I have & it's the cats meow.

btw.... I own three Traditions too... but all are sidelocks that never see over 100 grains. The Traditions Pursuit Pro is the only one I would consider - because of it's steel frame and steel sights. The LT model has an aluminum frame and polymer sights.

For magnum powder loads, I feel T/C is the best for accuracy with a variety of bullets using either Pyrodex pellets or 777 loose. The only concern with them are their tight bullet fits. But a good ramrod T-handle or palm saver helps - so does buying aftermarket plastic sabots that are easier to load -- like MMP and Harvesters.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM

E.A.B in MN has a few real pretty rosewood stock Omegas for $349.00. I saw them earlier today, looked real nice!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

You are right - I guess I had Lyman in my mind for some reason... Traditions has contracted to Ardesa Arms to make their guns...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Triple Se7en

You are right - I guess I had Lyman in my mind for some reason... Traditions has contracted to Ardesa Arms to make their guns...
I read somewhere that Traditions was now making the Dixie brand name guns... maybe Cabelas too - I'm not sure. I wonder if that's being contracted to Ardesa???
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

Well in realality Traditions doesn't make anything, they are a marketing company contracting to Ardesa (currently) for different guns.

I had not heard that they were now contracting the Dixie brand or even the Cabelas name brand - the last Cabels that i did see was a Interarms. In this world of business anything is possible.

Ardesa, themselves is a well respected arms maker in Europe, but they can/will produce what ever the contractor specs out. There are differences in specs for the Traditions Yukon and the Remington Genesis but it would really be hard for the public to nail down and Traditions or Remington are not likely to tell you. Another example of Remigton reaching overseas is their current contract of Biakal of Russiafor their Spartan line of shotguns.