Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I finally saw a deer today..

Old 12-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I finally saw a deer today..

That was a great picture and a really great story. I'm really glad it ended so well for you. Makes a person think about the challenge in hunting with a Flintlock.Good luck tommorow. Tom
Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

What rifle will use on the buck?
Since Dave will likely be treking in some snowfollowing fresh prints, my best guess is he will take either the Wolverine or Deerstalkerthis time around.
I can't use the Wolverine as the muzzleloader season does not allow scopes. I was thinking perhaps a Renegade with a fast twist barrel of Stainless Steel shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 300 grain Hornady XTP. That would be good deer medicine.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

congrats cayugad great story and i bet it fells great to do it with a flinter and round ball good luck on a buck
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I can't use the Wolverine as the muzzleloader season does not allow scopes. I was thinking perhaps a Renegade with a fast twist barrel of Stainless Steel shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f and a 300 grain Hornady XTP. That would be good deer medicine.
Well after what that supposedly lowly ol' crappy roundball did to the young lady in your freezer, well that's going to take an even better story from you.

I would be shocked if that XTP did more damage than that roundball did. We all know a 300 gr should out-perform a .177 grlead ball, butI don't think you can aim that perfectly two times in a row David!

I can't wait to find out thou!
Good luck to ya'
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I could use the White with a big conical ... that should clean house on them as well...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Great looking deer. and with a flintlock to! Doesnt itfeel great to do something with that old rock hammer? I know when i shot my 4x4 mulie this year with my flintlock, that was the best feeling in the world. as for the roundball, how did it do? Thats a silly question to ask seeing how its dead lol but im just wondering what kind of damage that .54 roundball did.
Triple, a .50 is 178 grain. 54 is 210 or 218, somewhere around there.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aaahhhh!
So it was a 54 ball that whacked that deer so hard.

That's why I luv' my lead bullets. I usenuttin' butleadin all my MLs these days.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Great story and congrats on the deer!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations. A deer is a deer no matter what time it is in the season. You sure have light colored deer up there. InMissouri they have a darker color, yours are similar to the coats they have here in the summer. Great story and one heck of a shot even with a flinter. Glad it all came together for you. I was wondering if you were having any luck this year.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on the flinter-kill. Sounds like tough conditions. That will some tasty venison.....

Quick Reply: I finally saw a deer today..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.