Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Problem!!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Omega Problem!!

Thought i would share this with you all.

As a lot of you know I have an Omega that I thought I would try this season, well I did encouter a problem with it yesterday that caught me off guard a bit... The trigger group froze up. It has been snowing heavily here for the last days the trees and bruch are loaded. Yesterday while hunting in the blizzard and with the combination of snow falling from brush and trees the trigger group collected al lot of snow - also melted a good deal of this snow from the warmth of the metal. Well when the snow stopped and the skies cleared ad the temp dropped to 12 - all that melted snow - now moister in the trigger - froze - I mean froze hard. I went to pul the hammer back on a doe - NOT GOING TOHAPPEN... I was able to drop the breech and then blowing warmair from my defrost the thing - I kept working the mechanism the rest of the morning to make sure that it didn't freeze again - well it did but not as hard I was able to pull the hammer back... That afternoon when the temp came back up and it started snowing again no problems...

Live and learn - - -

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega Problem!!

Too bad [&o]. Hope you get another opportunity.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a bad weather problem that could of struck any manufacturer's ML of a resembling design. Perhaps a child's headband or a cut scarfwould serve as a good hammer-areaprotector-sealer in blizzards like this.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

I did - show you later today - not real proud of the animal but it was the last day - so most anything was a target....
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

This is a bad weather problem that could of struck any manufacturer's ML of a resembling design.
I totally agree - just thought I would give a heads-up....

What I think I am going to do or least try is Lock anti-freeze and lubricant - you know the stuff for car door locks/padlocks/ignitions - I am going to lube it with that them put it out on the porch in a snow storm and see what happens.... I really think it will work - has cured my snowmobile/ATV ignition switch problem.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, look forward to seeing your success story. It seems to me, that the animals that we are least proud of, are the most tender, succulent animals we harvest. Happy eating!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabotloader, while any of them can freez up under those conditions one of those 3 inch high 1.25 in diameter {approxmate } can of WD40 that you can carry in your pocket will either clean out the moisture before it gets a chance to freez up or thaw it out. The only thing I dont like about it is it adds to the scent problem but thats better than a froze up gun. Lee
Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

Good thought - I am going to try the anti-freeze first but that will be the backup
Old 12-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let us know how that comes out I tried anti-freeze but I must have used the wrong kind because it dried sticky and I had an awful time getting my System One working right again. Lee
Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM

That is good to know, I wonder if the little tiny cans of lock de-icer would get it working again? I think that they might squirt out some type of alcohol that evaporates very quickly. They sure have come in handy when the key won't go into the lock.

Quick Reply: Omega Problem!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.