Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Old 12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

With a muzzleloader you are handloading each shot...No handloader would expect to get a good group with the first load that he made, nor would he hesitate to change components to get a good group....As mentioned, first check and see if everything is tight with the rifle and scope...Then select a bullet and try 80, 85, 90, 95, 100...etc grains of powder with that bullet and sabot....Clean between each shot...Keep notes...It might take 100 shots and 4-5 range sessions....That's just the way it is with muzzleloaders...If that sounds like too much work then maybe you could just use a centerfire.....

When you find what works, don't change...Get away from pellets, I prefer either real black powder (Goex) or Pyrodex....The cleanup is just part of the fun...

Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Triple Se7en is correct. Never assume anything about accuracy whenone changes projectiles. One should always range test every load he hunts with. That isn't the rifle's fault. Now if this a Wolf, you are overloading based on typical practice. 100 grains of 2f grainulation BP or Pyrodex is the maximum loose powder load. 85 grains of 2f 777 or 75-80 grains of 3f 777 are rough equivalents and will produce velocities superior to 100 grains 2f BP. And thats plenty to get the job done. Use appropriate quantities of powder, range test your hunting loads, while following the previously made suggestions for loads, and I'd bet you will be driving tacks.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:45 AM

Every post i see about accuracy problems is using this 777 junk. Why dont you just ditch it and go back to either goex or pyrodex RS? I swear ive never seen so many people having trouble trying to sight in. Try the 295 grain powerbelts and start off with 80 grains pyrodex RS and possibly work it up to 100 grains. And use loose powder. Back when i got my first muzzleloader i didnt have the net or any forums to get help from , i had to use the owners manual and slowly work on loads and different bullets untill i found what worked. But ditch the 777 and buy some loose pyro rs
Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many things that can affect your combo one of them is cold weather.
I would try some thing like pyrodex with 250gr Shock Waves that shoots in most guns to have a standard to judge other loads by,then work with it till you find a load both you and the gun like or trade it in on an Omega. Lee
Old 12-01-2006, 05:13 PM

I think it very well could be the gun. I shoot a hundred dollar T/C Woods rifle and have never had a problemlike that. I can shoot any load out of it and have never had a change of impact. I have shot many, many different bullet types out of it. It may be a cheap gun but at least it's a quality manufacturer. I shot powerbelts out of it last year and it shot exactly the same.I would have said to get the NEF Sidekick over that CVA. I know of no reason why it would be that off with those bullets. I am done commenting. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM

Every rifle will range differently outdoorslover. Its like my winchester, it will shoot almost everything i shove down the barrel. Try that with an omega and it will puke. But i think the problem with this wolf is the 777 powder. Some rifles like it, some dont. Gotta try the stuff thats been around a lot longer and see how it does. Goex and pyrodex.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a CVA and increased the APP by five grains(95 grains now) and
it is working fine!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 PM

BW, I would like to say that I shoot nothing but powerbelts!! I would like to make a suggestion. Start with a smaller powder charge. I use Triple 7 fffg. I started with 70 grains of powder, and ended up with using 80 grains of 777 fffg, with a 295 grain powerbelt! I shoot a CVA. Even with my Knight TK2000, I started with a 80 grain charge, and settled with 100 grains. Give it a try.......
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 PM

I shoot a CVA wolf also and I am really happy with mine. I am using 100gr APP and 300gr barnes expander. I have also used 100gr of T7 it shoots the same as the APP at the distance I shoot, I sight in for 50yds as most my shots are with in that range.

Don't give up on the Wolf yet just be consistant and take the time to work up a good load and possibly a back up one as well, just in case.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

what do ya all think of the platnum powerbelts? I don't have a place to shoot where i live so i have to drive up to the farm it's 3 hrs away, i checked the sights they are tight, scopes arn't allowed on muzzle loaders unless you are using them durning the gun season during the muzzle loader season only open sights are allowed.

pat

Quick Reply: I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.