Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hard Loading in my Encore

Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hard Loading in my Encore

Looking for some feedback. I mostly hunt archery but do on occasion break out my 50 Cal Encore. I have a fair amount of experience with black powder hunting but am by no means an expert. I have been using the 300 gr XTP and T/C sabots backed up with 150 gr of 777 pellets fired with Winchester 209 primers. Absolutly great performance with the exception of getting a second field shot loaded. I can not get the second load to seat. I come up approx 1/2 to 3/4 " short. No amount of pressure will provide proper seating. I have completely clean my barrel and inspections shows nothing. This load has proven deadly out to a true 225 yards. I mostly hunt large boar and some deer. Anyone see a possible reason for the issues?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hard Loading in my Encore

Have the same problem with an Omega,I polished the bore and that helped some but mostly I justchanged to APP FF can shoot it all day with out swabing; clean the gun good when I get home
Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

What your getting is a crud ring building up from the Triple Se7en ignition. If you are not swabbing between shots, you have a couple choices.. you can swab the barrel before you load and then get the second shot down the barrel. You can go to a thinner sabot and maybe get the second shot loaded without swabbing. You can change powders and go to something that does not leave a crud ring. Or you can go to a secondary back up projectile that you can load if need be in a hurry like a powerbelt, ball-et, or conical..

Its hard to just say, yes this will work. These are the things I would try, starting with a good swabbing of the barrel before loading the second shot..
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with cayugad, I would swab the barrel with 50/50 alcohol/windex solution. A lot of guys say that this takes too long between shots, but I believe in making the first one count anyway!!! Like he also said, try switching to 777 loose powder, Pyrodex pellets or Pyrodex loose powder. There is also Pinnicle, APP and Black mag3 powder. The MMP HPH/24 sabot seems to load a little easier in my Omega. One or all of these should help.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I did the switch to Harvester Sabots, I can load my Encore easily up to 3 times without swabbing the barrel. I might be able to go more than that, but haven't tried yet. I am shooting 240gr XTPs, Harvester Sabots, 100gr Triple Se7en pellets, and Win 209 primers.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bore brush, large patches (2-1/2 to 3") ... plus Harvester to the rescue. Just swap your oldsabots with these below - then re-adjust sights an inch or two either way.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0012633.jsp
Old 11-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Try one of the new 209 primers made just for muzzleloaders like the Remington clean bore or the 777 primer. Helps to burn powder and reduced the crud ring in my Encore (which I shoot APP in) significantly.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered some Harvester sabots and will make up some alcohol/windex patches. As in archery hunting I do make the first shot count, but the salt marshes I hunt often provide for a second shot as the hogs mostly travel in packs. Time is not always on my side as too allow for a quick swab of the bore. Hopefully the sabots will provide the relief I need. Good hunting to all.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM

second shots are easy if you are hunting with the traditions Over/Under muzzleloader lol