Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tips for rainy weather (Long)

Old 11-25-2006, 06:20 AM

Default Tips for rainy weather (Long)

Hello to all and thanks for such a fine forum! I own a Tradition Buckhunter inline in .50 that is very accurate and 34 acres that I overhunt the heck out of.My problem is sometimes after having it loaded for 2 days or more I get a hangfire or just the cap goes pffft.Cost me a shooter buck and a tense moment with a boar at about 30 yards last year.Well Im thinking that the good weather of the fall is turning to the damp weather of the winter soon and I sure dont want a repeat of what happened last year,that boar scared me lol.Tricks I use now-finger cots over the barrel,and leaving the gun outside the cabin when I fire up the woodstove.I go to the camp for 3-5 days at a time all winter,Id hate to scare the game off by discharging does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance,charlie
Old 11-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tips for rainy weather (Long)

The finger-cots and leaving the ML outdoors will help. Switching to 777 or real blackpowder helps too. Changing your 209 primer everyday is another helper. Just make sure the 209 primers you are replacing them with - doesn't see big temperature changes also. The main cause of hang/misfires (other than temperature changes)is having the action open with no 209 primer in place (or) having an action that doesn't seal-out the bad weather when closed against a breechplug without the 209 primer in place.

My Omega allows me to keep a 209 in place with thefiring pindoorclosed while sitting and muzzle pointing either down or up.Most MLs are unsafe for such practices with igniter in place. So if you have a moving action ... ie... bolt or plunger & keep the primer removed while hunting -- plus are using a powder other than the two I mentioned, well you are more susceptible to moisture going thru the 209 primer breechplug hole & getting powder wet faster.You-then may be better-off to buy a CO2 Discharger from places likeCabelas & it more quietly expels the load every evening. Just start fresh afterwards.

Always think Safety First!
Old 11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Since it is an inline why not remove the breech plug and push the powder and projectile out the barrel. I recommend getting a long range rod.. I like a 32" Thompson Center Rugged Rod.

Remove the rifle from the stock, take the hammer striker out, and remove the trigger if possible on your model. Now remove the breech plug, So allyou really have is the barrel pipe with the projectile in it. Now put the range rod down the muzzle against theprojectile. Setting the ramrod on the floor, leaning away from the barrel, push the whole works out the back end ofthe rifle.

After you have all of that out (do not use the same projectile the next day... save it for the range) use a couple patches and wipe the bore clean and then oil it up.Now re-assemblethe rifle and you have a nice clean dry rifle that will be all set to go thenext day. Then you can be assurred that the rifle will fire.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.I thought of pushing it back out butwas worriedI might end up with it stuck and an end to my hunt.Taking the gun down is no problem as I do it everytime I shoot it anyway. Guess I can bring my bow with me too just in case. Ive been using pyrodex but am open to trying a different kind if it will help ignition in damp conditions.It fired just fine after being loaded for 5 days on my last trip,but it was very dry (blue norther).My problems have happened when its wet, and so far after a new no.11 cap and a grope thru the nipple with a pick it still fired,just wasnt an animal in front of it anymore.