Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Spike

Default Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

I did a search and found a few threads discussing the Winchester Apex. There seems to be a love/hate relationship going on. A couple of friends and I have discussed doing some black powder hunting this fall/winter. If that happens, I need to buy a gun. Cabelas in Dundee, MI is 30 min. from where I work, so when I went to their website and saw the sale they have going right now, the Apex captured my attention for being what seems to be a decent gun at a decent price.

I've read a lot of replies saying not to get the Apex andgo for the Thompson Omega.With the sale price and giftcards I have, I can get thestainless barrel, blackcomposite stock, scope,scope rail and rings on theApex for $154. The Omega would be $284 with the same discounts applied for the gun ONLY. That is quite a price difference. My intent is to use this gun for a couple of weekends through the seasoneachDecember for whitetail, so this is by no means my primary firearm. However, these same buddies and I have played with the idea of a mule deer or elk hunt out west where this would probably be the firearm I use.My 12 ga. slug gun and .270 Win. probably aren't the best choices for that size game.

I'm just wonderingif the Apex owners here are still standing next to theirrifles, or are they sorry they bought it? I would be getting the .50 caliber shown here.

I don't mean to beat this topic to death, just trying to make a sound decision to meet my needs and not go poor before the holidays. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

I bought one recently from Bass Pro and am well pleased with it so far. It groups well with Powerbelt Platinums and T/C Cheapshot and is pretty easy to clean. I don't shoot a lot so I can't attest to the durability, but for someone who only hunts with a muzzleloader for one week of the season, it serves me well.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:54 PM

i'll be buying an Apex in about 2-3 weeks. I already own the winchester x-150 and its awesome. Zero problems. And for the camostock/ stainless steel barrel for $230, its a steal. Alot of people are still crying junk at cva/bpi for the old cva apollo barrel bursting problems and cant get a grip and move on. I havnt even found any reports about any new cva/bpi exploding. So therefore theylabel any riflewith a barrel made in spain "junk" Every muzzleloader on the market has issues thatneed to be worked out and so far, cva took care of the barrel problems or maybe i havnt seen any reports lately. But i love my winny, best money ive spent.The winchester for that price in an excellent deal. I'll be buying a $430 rifle for $230. How much more of a deal can you ask for lol.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 PM

I think it could be an ok ML but I prefer to get the best that I can. That way I'm never disappointed. I say to save for the Omega but it's just me. The price is great though. If you just want a suitable rifle and are not looking for anything phenomenal then go for it.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:28 AM
Spike

Should I consider the .45 rather than the .50?

This is what I understand so far -

.50 - more versatile, most common, greater number of loads available, easier to find loads/powder pellets/.50 cal specific accessories

.45 - more accurate than a .50, flatter trajectory, less common, harder to find loads/powder pellets/accessories

I live down the road from a Cabelas, Gander Mtn. and a couple other big hunting stores, so I'm not sure the concern with having a gun with harder to find rounds is that much of a "real" concern. Plus with mail order/internet, I should be able to find everything under the sun and have it shipped to my door.

Is the range on a .45 that much greater than a .50? Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

If you ever dream of hunting elk out west, get the .50 caliber. Some States do not allow the .45 caliber. Also there is nothing the .45 caliber can do that the .50 caliber can not match. As for your choice of weapon, well you have to be the final judge on that. I personally would go with the Omega. If you can wait for a while I think you might be able to find one cheaper then what you found.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Midway USA has omega z 5 for 264.oo and free shipping
Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Last year at the close of season some members of this forum were finding Omega Z5's for $169.00 and if memory serves me I think one got one for like $109.00 which was incredible. Even though I do not need an Omega, for that kind of money I would be hard pressed not to purchase one.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 AM

50 caliber is always best. Easier to find bullets for in small towns and plus like the other guy said, if u want to hunt elk, a lot of states want a 50 or larger. I think cabelas website has them for $200 in blue/blue or camo/ss barrel for $230.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both the Omega and the Apex are good guns. I ended up going with the Apex for my son. We had checked both out and the feel of the Apex was better in both our opinions. I could not tell enough difference in the fit and finish to justify the much higher price. The palm swell on the stock grip of the Apex is nice and more cofortable in the hand and the gun came up to the cheek with the sights right where they needed to be, the Omega sights were too low and the gun needed to be raised to line them up (at least for my son and I). I like the fact that the Apex has 2 recoil lugs, that will make it easy to float the barrel if needed and the quality is better than other BPI products as far as the fit goes. We ended up getting a lightly used camo/SS version for $175, I wish I had waited for this sale as I could have gotten a new one for just a little more but oh well, I still got a good deal and it shot under 4" groups at 200 yards with the first load I tried.

The bottom line is, try them both on for size and see what fits you best. Get the one you like best and you'll be happy. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.