Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Well, I’m feeling a little foolish being the new guy around here spreading some misinformation. I’ll try to set the record straight:

Winchester Muzzleloading going out of business – the jury is still out on this one. I sent an email to Win. MLing/BPI and got an auto-response that they would get to me in 5-7 days. It still seems odd to me that you have to call the company directly to buy one of their guns. Most people buy a gun after they get their hands on it.

Muzzleloader can’t be shipped to MI – this is only half true. I looked through some ATF laws and didn’t find what I was looking for. I called Cabela’s and spoke to someone who was more knowledgeable. Turns out that I can have a ML shipped to me, you just have to call and go through a different dept. that can deal with different forms that need to be faxed back and forth to place the order. The website doesn’t tell you this, just says “this item cannot be shipped to your address”. So I’m dealing with the paperwork now.

The first guy I spoke with at Cabela’s wouldn’t backorder the gun for me, this new guy did. So right now I have a stainless APEX on backorder through Cabela’s mail order with scope mounted and delivered to my door for $169 (had gift cards to use). Even if the gun isn’t the same quality as a T/C, Knight, etc., $169 for a stainless outfit like this is hard to beat to get started.

Again, sorry for any misinformation that was spread. Seems that a good portion of the info I’ve been getting hasn’t been 100% accurate.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM

You'll enjoy it. I had to back down from buying one after i bought 3.42 gears and a eaton series 2 posi traction differential for my 71 buick skylark lol. I dont manage my money very good when it comes to my car. Did i forget to mention that its getting a new modded motor? lol. As for the quailty, that winchester for $169 you bought will be the best ML'er you'll own for that price. Ive been searching for reviews and most guys that are shooting them are shooting 1inch groups @ 100 yards with open sights. One guy was shooting 3/4" groups @100 with a scope. Winchesters quality is greatly improved over the cva/traditions brand. Those rifles are built solid. The only thing you'll probably want to change out is the sling, its good and all, but when u are walking with it for a few hours it tends to hurt your shoulder after a while. Just because its made in spain doesnt mean it cant hang with the bigger names. Look at those $700 tc's getting sent in for trigger adjustments.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the Apex have a QLA, and therefore the same potential for problems shooting conicals that the Omega has?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:40 PM

Yeah they have a QLA but do not have the problems the omega has. They shoot conicals with out any problems. My winchester with 90gns pyro rs and 385gn great plains conical got 2" groups @ 100yards. I dont have a shooting rest so its either off a tree limb or the 4 wheeler seat or even a fence line. I think im going to change to shooting off a fence line, ive been getting better accuracy.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, maybe we can market a portable fence instead of shooting sticks! LOL. Have there been no reports of Winchesters having a problem with conicals? I say this because we bought 3 Omegas at the same time. 2 of them shoot conicals with no problem, and 1 doesn't.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM

None that i can find. All the guys with the 50cal apex are either using sabots or powerbelts and shooting great groups. portable fence line, lmao. It would be a hell ofa lot cheaper than those shooting sticks thats for sure! We use that fencing with the square hole and i make a dent in the right hand bottom corner and lay my rifle barrel in there and its one of the steadiest rests ive used so far. But i have not read any bad reports of the apex or anything bad about shooting conicals. Every cva/bpi gun i have shot has always been pick one bullet/powder and you're ready.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Spike

I got a response from BPI, see the quote below. Nothing like proper punctuation and sentence structure......

we have the guns here and you can order from us with a major charge card, when older models are closed out everyone thinks we are going out of business as far as I know we are still selling the muzzleloaders and I have not heard of any shut down.