Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Old 11-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

zuren1cs

Why not consider an Omega z5 for around $260... or even a Traditions Yukon @ $149 to @199

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3A+%2FDefault.asp+KW+Box&s=S EARCH&a=search&k=traditions+yukon

Then there are sarting to be some decent reports on the the Remington Genesis which does come with a stainless barrel.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=82246&hvarTarget=sea rch&cmCat=SearchResults

Good luck in your search...
Old 11-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

In looking around the web I have found no evidence that Winchester Muzzleloading is going out of business.

U.S. Repeating Arms which is one of several companies that have licensed the Winchester name has closed it's New Haven, CT manufacturing plant and will not be building several of the Winchester models anymore but even that company is not completely out of business, just scaled back.

Winchester Muzzleloading is owned by BPI who markets the Winchester line of muzzleloaders under license from Olin who owns the Winchester name and ammo manufacturing. I also cannot find any info on the Apex being out of production. I have been happy with the Apex I bought my son and am impressed with the quality of the rifle.

If there is any verifiable info about them closing or discontinueing production that someone knows about I would be interested in seeing it.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 PM

To be honest, I just purchased an Apex. I am sure the higher priced guns have some features that the Apex doesnt, however, I cant see how you can beat a rifle that shoots very well, is easy to clean, and fits well for $179.88. I have very limited ML experance, but I find this deal hard to beat.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zuren1cs

Well, my hopes of getting an Apex at a good price may be crashing and burning. No availability and company going out of business doesn't sit well with me.
Where did you read this? Their webpage on the Apex has been recently upgraded. For a company that's about to go out of business, they wouldn't update their website.

Winchester Centerfire Rifles and Winchester Muzzleloaders are unrelated - no ties whatsoever. The Winchester name for muzzleloading was sold to the owners of CVA 5-6 years ago.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM

I think whats going on is what they did with the x-150, cabelas in 2003 advertised them and once they were out, they didnt restock them and therefore you buy from winchester. I bought mine from cabelas in 03 and a year later you couldnt find one on cabelas website or cataloge. If they are making a new upscaled Apex, thats more than likely why they did the sale, get the old models out and the new ones in. I guess i dont get an Apex from cabelas. I tried emailing them but i got an email back telling me they do not accept emails on hollidays. I guess i'll resend it monday and see what they say.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may be possible the X-150 has been discontinued. That webpage has not been updated since 2002. Plus, bolt-actions are real slow sellers these days in the ML lineup.

http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/index.htm

But the Apex webpage looks new.... even mentioning Copyright 2006 there.

http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/apex.htm
Old 11-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

But the Apex webpage looks new.... even mentioning Copyright 2006 there.

http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/apex.htm
Based on comments above, comments from other threads I've found, no evidence of the Win. X-150 being available and lack of availabilityof the APEX, that's where my going out of business comment came from. The guy at the Cabela's gun counter took the item number of the APEX to his computer and told me it was out of stock, discontinuedby Winchester and no chance of ever having it in stock. He also claimed that since it was a discontinued item, Cabela's eliminates it from their nationwide stock database so he can't see if another store would haveone. Not sure if I buy that one, but this is what he claims. When I calledCabela's Mailorder, they claim it's backordered. I just emailed Winchester Muzzleloading. If I don't have an answer by the close of business on Mon., I'll call.

During all of this ithas come to my attention that MI has laws against buying guns over the internet, so I have to be able to walk in somewhere and buy it. But thanks for the links!

I have handled a Rem. Genesis and wasn't impressed. I do not like their TorchCam opening. Ittakes a little more effort than the "flip of your thumb" that they claim, plus there are scope clearance concerns.

As far as the website, thatcould have been updated Jan. 1 and it's now 11 months later. Companies do stupid "business as usual" projects all the time when stuff is about to hit the fan. In my shopping around, I have not encountered a X-150 which makes me wonder if it was discontinued. A company with 2 potentially discontinued firearms out of 2 ever offered sounds like business trouble to me!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM

they still make the x-150, u just have to call winchester's number and order one. I emailed them a month ago asking if they still made them and they said that they do and the guy gave me a # to call to order a new one or Refurbished rifle. This site is updated for 2006
http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/x150.htm
Old 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

During all of this ithas come to my attention that MI has laws against buying guns over the internet, so I have to be able to walk in somewhere and buy it. But thanks for the links!

I
Three months ago, I purchased a new CVA Youth Stalker 50-cal over the internet. Got it around 10 days later. I live a half-hour north of Detroit.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

zuren1cs

Here's another source for the Winchester Apex.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=48924&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode= 1&hvarTarget=browse

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.