Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

I looked one of these over very thoroughly this afternoon. Great trigger. Breech block fits very tight against the back of the barrel. Ramrod also fits tight - no rattling like some of my T/C guns. QLA equipped. Nice balance. If this gun shoots a good group, it looks like a great bargain. Roskoe.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No one has mentioned what happens on the outside chance of you getting a "lemon" of a gun, which happens with any manufacturer from time to time. I assume that since Winchester is out of business, you have no recourse and there is no one to do warranty work if you have a problem?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Winchester Muzzleloading is a member of the Black Powder Inc. family along with CVA, Powerbelt, Quake Industries, and Durasight Sighting Systems. So if there were a problem with a Winchester Rifle I would guess that it would be sent to Norcross, GA where all the CVA's are also repaired. Again, this is only a guess.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 AM

My first winchester came to me in perfect working shape and 4 years later its still going strong. As for warranty, Winchester offered me freenew sights for mine when i was asking them about any other styles they had. My eyes are really bad and i had a hard time seeing the front. They are very high quality made, they just dont advertise like they should be doing. Then again, ive noticed that T/C's ad's have slowed down a lot of tv. Either way, if something ever does happen, Winchester will take care of it Asap.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

But since the company "Winchester" is now out of business, where does that leave you? If cayugad is correct, then there is no problem. Anyone know for sure?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Spike

I stopped by Cabelas in MI and they were out of the Apex but did confirm a couple things. I do not like the feel of the Omega. The drop of the butt stock wasn't enough for me. The sister CVA to the Apex did feel good. They also told me that the Apex has been discontinued and they don't plan to, nor do they have the ability torestock. Since the gun is listed on their site, I called Cabelas mailorder and they did not have any in stock. I'm not really sure why they are listed but not in stock, with no possibility of being in stock.

The restock issue makes sense if Winchester Muzzleloading is now out of business. Is it just Winchester Muzzleloading that isaffected?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:16 PM

"But since the company "Winchester" is now out of business"

Browning bought winchester. The muzzleloader winchester has nothing to do with the actual company, just like remmington. Its just a new name to add to the others. Winchesters are built by BPI not winchester. Like the apex is modeled after the cva kodiak but the winchester brand offers better quality/ barrels/stocks. Even sights and recoil pads. So winchester going out of business has no affect on getting parts for the muzzleloaders seeing how they are not made by winchester. Just a sticker and engraving on the barrel. Email cva/bpi if you want a straight answer.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:49 AM

I think Remington did essentially the same thing with its Genesis muzzle loader. It is patterned after the Traditions Yukon - but with a longer barrel - and, if you believe the advertising, a better barrel.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Spike

I have an Apex 50cal. I love it. Just put a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on. Shoots very accurately at both 50 and 100 yards. I shoot 250gr. T/C Shockwaves with 100 gr of T7 pellets
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Spike

Well, my hopes of getting an Apex at a good price may be crashing and burning. No availability and company going out of business doesn't sit well with me. I like to buy American, so maybe this availability issue is the gods telling me to look at something else. I looked at CVA but the only offering I found with a SS barrel was nearly the same price as a SS Knight.

Can a Green Mtn. barrel be placed on a CVA? If I go to the CVA website, they show some SS barrel upgrade options, so I'm wondering if Green Mtn. also makes an upgrade. I'm not certain what can or can not be swapped on these guns.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Winchester Apex owners; updated opinions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.