Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.015 Pillowtick vs .018

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .015 Pillowtick vs .018

anyone treat the patches or just push it right down on the powder? Do you pre cut or cut it on the muzzle?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

anyone treat the patches or just push it right down on the powder? Do you pre cut or cut it on the muzzle?

i make my own BORE BUTTONS.

Ipush 1 down first.

i just am getting ready to cut mine a muzzle.
i just put a strip in micro-wave with bore butter, i am trying to use it up.

i am going to use sharp scizzors to cut it.

i think you could pre cut them sq and push in and cut them too.

someone should chime in, this is first time i am going to do it also, so i am new at it.

only reason to do it is ball will be more on center on patch than round patchs we buy.

plus if you shoot a lot, its much cheaper.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

I cut my pillow ticking into 1.25 inch strips. In a frying pan I heat the grease to the melting point and dip the strips in and roll them while they are still warm and squeeze out the excess. Do not over heat the grease or you will fry the material and use pliars to handle the material because it is very hot.

I cut my patches at the muzzle with a sharp knife.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Buck Hunter 1, You better treat your patches with something even if it is only spit. It helps to seal the bore and prevents ignition of the patch. Lots of ready made patch lube available and lots more that you can concoct yourself. There is a post in here somewhere with recipes for lubes and cleaning products that you make yourself.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:56 AM

A yard of pillow ticking should give you close to 1200 patches.remember also that some materials compress a lot more than others. Some .018 might compress to .010 while other .018 might only compress to .012. It depends on the material and the manufacturer. Pillow ticking a a tighter weave and compresses the least. If I was going to mic the material I would mic it compressed also.