Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pics of powerbelts VS pine log

Old 11-16-2006, 06:42 PM

Default RE: pics of powerbelts VS pine log

ive killed with the hollow points before. Maybe the guys shooting higher charges is causing the bullet to explode on inpact? Althought ive shot 150 grains pyrodex and never had any problems with them. 120 grains and 150 grains powder have dropped my deer. I dont shoot through the shoulders, wastes a lot of meat. But damn, Those 2 bullets went through over a foot of fresh cut log. I'll do some more testing once i buy some and i'll try them with the mag loads from my inline. I just was curious to see what they looked like and why people were having so much trouble. Maybe i found the key sweet spot in dropping the deer? lol. i'll find the scale tomorrow and weigh it and get back and post what its weight is. I'll also get a pic of the log i spit, you can see how the bullet traveled and the exited.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:51 PM

okay i found the scale. its weight is 0.6oz I have no clue what that is in grains.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

okay i found the scale. its weight is 0.6oz I have no clue what that is in grains.
Approximately 262.5 grains or almost 89% weight retention.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 PM

not bad. What weight is gone is mostly the copper.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

not bad. What weight is gone is mostly the copper.
Really isn't bad.I figure your load is yielding muzzle velocitybetween 1380 fps to 1420 fps. It would give additional context to know at what range the log wasstruck.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:42 PM

25 yards.. I took some 50 yard shots but im unable to split the log, next time i'll use something easier to split lol.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

25 yards.. I took some 50 yard shots but im unable to split the log, next time i'll use something easier to split lol.
At 25 yards, the velocity would be in the neighborhood of 1315 fps. At 50 yards, around 1245 fps.While a hollow point bullet this weight might be a little light for shoulder shots, wouldprobably beperfectfor double lung pass throughs that expand to the size of a quarter.

Your shots last year at 132 and 143 with would have beena littleunder 1200 fps (at impact)with 90 or so grains. Just my opinion, but I would consider the hollowpoint a benefit at that velocity. There seems to be a window of velocities where the pure lead conical really shines with acceptable penetration and expansion.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM

90 grains was this years doe. last year i used 150 grains with a 295 grain and 120 grains with the 245gn hollow point.

This year i used the 90 grains pyrodex rs with the 385 great plains bullets. But thanks for figuring out my FPS, Thats very interesting. Im not a big fan of the GP bullets due to them limiting my range. I think im going to break down and add a new buddy to my other winchester, cabelas really has a deal on the SS/camo Winchester apex. Just not sure yet.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

90 grains was this years doe. last year i used 150 grains with a 295 grain and 120 grains with the 245gn hollow point.

This year i used the 90 grains pyrodex rs with the 385 great plains bullets. But thanks for figuring out my FPS, Thats very interesting. Im not a big fan of the GP bullets due to them limiting my range. I think im going to break down and add a new buddy to my other winchester, cabelas really has a deal on the SS/camo Winchester apex. Just not sure yet.
Jon,

You can't use them during ML season, but you might consider trying some 375 SSB or 435 SSB in your winchester. The 375's are doing well for me and are as easy to load in my Sidekick as a powerbelt is. They have great sectional density and very good aerodynamic properties, meaning, they carry more thump down range would penetrate better than a PB of equal weight. It would surprise me if you could not extend your range with them. They are about 50 cents each and so are a little cheaper thanPB's. If they shoot well in your rifle, you are bound to fall in love with em.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 PM

i'll check them out. I've always just bought the 245 grain ball-ets just to blast out of the winchester and have fun with 50 for $8.99. Those actually shot good out of my rifle. Another cheap full bore bullet that shot good was the sabot tooth bullets but again, im not a big fan of them after i found out 1 fell out of my barrel the first day of the hunt. Breaks my heart, knowing that i could have filled my tag 20 minutes into the hunt .

Quick Reply: pics of powerbelts VS pine log

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.