Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega owners have this issue?

Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Omega owners have this issue?

I was on hpmuzzleloading just for kicks and came across this artical. Kind of scary actually. Anyone having this problem with the breech plug? http://hpmuzzleloading.com/industry.html

T/C Encore, Contender G2and Omega
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Omega owners have this issue?

that's an interesting problem. Have any of the Omega and Encore owners on this forum experienced this? I just checked my rifles and they are fine.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot an Omega,I have fired so many rounds in it that the tourch hole is inlarged like when you use up a nipple and I changed breach plugs. I inspected both plugs and they show nothing like whats in that picture; I normally use 150 gr of RS or pellets orAPP FF with a 200gr SW or 130 with a 250 gr SW.
What appears to be flame cutting in that pic. could be a maching problem or just a defective piece of metal, I for one am not worried about it,if it does happen that something shows a defect TC always makes it good. Lee
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

frontier gander

Read the article sometime back - checked both of my Omega plugs no sign of this problem.

Gas cutting is/will accour everytime you shoot - how much it effects your breech plug and the threads that hold the plug are dependent on the hardness and the seal you achieve between the BP and the BP chamber. If you are getting blow-back onto the threads of your BP then again you may be getting some gas cutting.

Doc White once told me to what hardness his breech plugs are brought to - it was a ridiculously high number - to prevent gas cutting.

Whether we believe Toby Bridges about his Savage blow up or not is for you to detirmine, but he did believe the problem occurred because of gas cutting in a gun that he had thousands of rounds through it.

Gives more credence to care inspecting your gun each time you clean and each part you clean.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Toby Bridges is trying to make some mountain out of a molehill and sell more of those alternative plugs and veri-flame adapters.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 AM

Thank you for the link. Cannot understandwhat the problem is here.My new Encore has been fired over 150 times with light, medium and heavy loads of Pyrodex pellets, Pyrodex RS, and Jim Shockeys Gold. When my breech plug is properly cleanedit looks like it did when it was new.

The "eroded" breech plug in the photo is notproperly cleaned. Strange that the guy never showed us what the "eroded" breech plug looked likeafter a good cleaning.

Jim Shockeys Gold does leave some kind of white looking residue in the hole under the primer. The stuff seems to "grow" if it is not all gotten out. i use pipe cleaners and really clean inside of the plug.

i amreluctant to pay a bunch of money in order to use small rifle primers in some kind of expensive contraption in order tosolve a non-problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did any of you ever wonder how much stuff you buy to fill a non-existant need created by one of these peddlers?
I bet you would be shocked if you knew how many regularly vist here, I bet I would be to. Lee
Old 11-16-2006, 02:16 PM

actually it must be a problem. i remember a couple months back some1 was asking about it and has pictures of his breechplug. I'll have to see if i can find it.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:41 PM

It is the very last post on this thread. Someone visited the Toby article.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Like lemoyne, I have had some enlarging of the flame hole on my BP, but nothing more.

Quick Reply: Omega owners have this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.