Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega owners have this issue?

Old 11-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Omega owners have this issue?

After reading this thread.. I checked my breech plug while I was cleaning my Omega the other day. And I do have 2 small gas cuts. I don't think it's much of an issue.. but they are there... I will take pics next time I have it apart. I have about 60-70 shots through this gun. I've use 777 2f powder since day one... and Remington Kleanbore primers (last year)and Winchester 777 primers (this year).
Old 11-20-2006, 04:45 AM

Google up Toby Bridges and find out that he works for Markesbery M/L or is sponsored by them. Mr. Bridges worked for Savage promoting their M/L. He got into a urinating contest with the inventer of the rifle, got into trouble with the law and was fired by Savage.Mr. Bridges had a Savage muzzleloader "blow up" after his firing. Mr. Bridges was also dropped by Pedersoli.

My Encore shows no "gas cutting" or anything else after 150 shots. Plug looks new. Even if there is some "gas cutting" it is not a big deal. Think about all those, spring loaded-bolt firedinlines out there that use 209 primers. They get a lot of gas leakage around the primer and nothing bad happens.

We need to check out these "experts"before we buy their Kool Aid.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

that's an interesting problem. Have any of the Omega and Encore owners on this forum experienced this? I just checked my rifles and they are fine.
Actually, I think I am You can substitute my Encore's breechplug for the one shown. I got the same cutting and oblong hole. My accuracy has recently went south too. Actually heading back to Gander MT tonight. I got 1 year free gunsmithing service for my Encore when I bought it. Hope I'll walk out with a new (and free) breechplug.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checked mine and it seems fine but i'll watch for it
Old 11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Checked both of my T/C's , have fired several hundred rounds through both the Encore and the Omega and the breechplugs show look like new . the Omega is 5 years old and the Encore is 3 1/2 years old .
Charlie